View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 04:52 PM   #14463
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sootie View Post
What's the reason? There are lots of things uncommon in western canada partly due to the lack of population and mostly due to the pig headed attitude of doing nothing similar to Eastern canada ( ) and anywhere else prosperous...

but we got dat OIL MONEY doe!!
Actually there's a few reasons:

- the wind. I know two guys at our company that had them. First one took it off after about a year. Second one has spent a lot of money keeping it together. You're generally coming through wy/mt or sd/nd on the way home. That's not easy on those systems.

- the loads. Just about impossible to fit upright headers under one. Heaven forbid if it moves a bit. Oversize is out of the question. We also pull more steps than flats, I know you can get them for steps but that's more money and complication

- the weight. We need a closed tandem up here and generally our specs are a bit heavier than our American counterparts. So you go down south and they expect you to be able to take 47k or 48k. Add a sliding tarp. Now you want to add a front slider to get a spread that's another what 700 lbs? I know guys that can barely take 46k.