Virtual Dyno

Justinsixseven

Anyone know of a virtual dyno that can calculate hp/torque for a 6.7 Cummins? I don't have access to a true dyno locally just wondering if there is a way to calculate it from a computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easiest (and best since it can't lie) to go get a weight on your truck at a truckstop or race shop and then go to the track and wee what it traps.

But to get bsfc you need a dyno with fuelflowmeter.

Bsfc nunbers for that specific engine yes. But its not hard to find them for specific near stock engines. Now the question becomes is the reported fuel flow rate accurate? On my detroit its dead nuts on.

Using lbs per gallon of 7 and a bsfc of 0.32 we get 21.8 HP per GPH. I like to use 20. Keep in mind this is only for 1500 to 1700 rpm where thermal efficiency (bsfc) is best.

My engine delivers 30 gph. Thats 600 at the crank and jives with the dyno numbers.

Google search for G-Tech. Essentially an accelerometer that can measure your real-time HP. Jason Sands has one and mentioned he was only about 20HP lower than when measured on rollers. Could simply be because a dyno can't account for wind resistance or get a precise correction factor for the condition(s) you're in at the time. It's a small boxed unit that has a windshield mount and would allow you to see figures immediately. Just takes a little calibration using vehicle weight, RPM limit, etc. I have one myself. I bought it a few years ago and have still yet to calibrate and use it :lolly:.

However, if you've been down the track and have a weight to plug in, use the calculator linked above.

Last edited:
Google search for G-Tech. Essentially an accelerometer that can measure your real-time HP. Jason Sands has one and mentioned he was only about 20HP lower than when measured on rollers. Could simply be because a dyno can't account for wind resistance or get a precise correction factor for the condition(s) you're in at the time. It's a small boxed unit that has a windshield mount and would allow you to see figures immediately. Just takes a little calibration using vehicle weight, RPM limit, etc. I have one myself. I bought it a few years ago and have still yet to calibrate and use it :lolly:.

However, if you've been down the track and have a weight to plug in, use the calculator linked above.

That's pretty sweet! I might look into getting one of those. So in jason sands case, it was more accurate than a dyno because of environmental factors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back