View Single Post
Old 02-14-2015, 12:12 PM   #51
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlibert View Post
I bought my father in law the gear for his birthday, so i did a little research at that time. I'll take note of the head restraints you mentioned. I've read what you have to say about cages in other threads, and understand that you might not consider what i have to be "safe". It's 1-5/8 083 4130N. It'll be a funny car style cage or driver's cage. I'm using my best judgment above and beyond the rules to come up with what i feel is safe.
It's a little on the small size for my taste, but with the chromoly and the funny car driver containment style it should be safe. AND hopefully you'll never need to use it to its limit!!!!!

I would look seriously at the gussets or additional tubes to brace the chassis mounts though. It would only add a little weight, but it would strengthen that joint a ton and prevent the cage from pushing past the chassis in the event of a turtle...

As for the neck restraint, I purchased one to protect both myself and my family while I navigated in the Baja 1000 for 2012. It wasn't a safety requirement, but I felt it was needed to help prevent possible death from a bad wreck. It was comfortable to wear during the time I was in the race truck. Since the Hybrid uses belts around the torso it offers protection even if the shoulder harness is loose or slips off the lip of the HNR as could happen in an angular crash. At the speeds you'll be running, I would highly suggest the additional investment, and you and your father in law can share it as long as you are not racing at the same time. Just get an extra set of mounting hardware for the helmet so you both have it installed on your helmets.

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.