View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 03:16 AM   #789
tall boy

Name: tall boy
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Scania Torpedo still going strong.

Day 2 of the rally separated to men from the boys. A 800 meter dune did this and impossible to get over if you did not have the power using a manual gearbox as you can not up or downshift. The team using a automatic transmission did struggle as well. Thing is the Scania Torpedo is to heavy with 10 tons not 8,5ton as the rest of the top teams so we all are very happy with the engine performance out of this 12.7L XPI Scania engine.

Day 3 or stage 3 went very well running in the top 10 up to wave point 5, they missed it and had to go back losing 45 min and on the end of the day adding up to 1,5 hours with a flat tyre and all. Still goal of the team is top 5 but for me I’m happy with top 10 place overall. Remember it’s an amateur team driving just one rally a year where other factory team run rally’s all year but I hope this Dakar is going well and plans are to drive more rally’s in Africa this year to test things. Also hoping they will build a new truck with less weight along with load of other things like placing the engine lower sorting out how to build the oil sump as the front wheel drive shaft limits things on that part.

As for the engine. Team keep repeating this thing is an animal but am I happy? Almost but looks like fuel pressure drops in these hot conditions as for producing smoke but that’s fine BUT I want a bigger pump and if not some fine tuning will be needed to keep the pressure up with I bit less injector duration but dos not look like EGT is getting to hi due to retarded injection. Also very happy with the 472SX-E turbo and yes some think others brands can do better well we outrun factory build rally semi’s with 10 tons of weight not 8,5 ton and they all run 3”or bigger inducer size with a 74mm inlet retricktor as we only run 72mm inducer size.
OK maybe we build a more efficient engine and I can still move up boost with about 8 PSI on low and mid end like we do on the race trucks but also need to find out in these hot conditions what thermal stress this will give and in the long run reliability.

Dakar Speed is still the best amateur team and I hope they have the luck to stay there.

Click the image to open in full size.

Insane jump across the finch line battling it out with the factory HINO truck.