View Single Post
Old 07-13-2018, 01:24 AM   #4
Chowderhead72

Name: Chowderhead72
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
All that said I went with CPP for a few reasons. They are semi-local so I could order my trans from them without having a bay tied up for days with my mechanic while also not having to pay 2k for a core charge. Also with them being semi-local I knew if something did go awry I could be on their doorstep without too much trouble. Personally I have had no issues with CPP but I’m aware many others have. In all honesty until the trans is opened up I can’t say what failed but I’m pretty sure the failure included the input shaft possibly other parts. If it’s only an input shaft it will be replaced with a mopar shaft ($800 vs Chinese $110), if it goes far beyond that I will jump on the “CPP Sucks” bandwagon.

In my opinion thus far I believe it comes down to the fact that I fought the odds and the odds won. The G-56 is a great transmission for 350hp/700tq or less; beyond that disaster is eminent no matter who builds it or sells it. I knew this going in and had planned to swap in a 48RE when (not if) this one went; I had figured I would get a little better than 6k miles out of this one however; live and learn.

The point of this post wasn’t to bash nor defend CPP but only to ask those that have been in a similar situation for some insight. I will say this however the trans was installed 23 months and 6k miles prior to failure and I was told after 1 year I have zero recourse (warranty) so I’m on my own with this one. I was nearly certain the warranty was for 2 years or 20k but I’m unable to prove that at this point.

My initial point was simply to ask “What do you think failed” and maybe a side order of suggestions on converting to automatic.

Also: does anyone find it odd that the trans failed when it wasn’t under load? The clutch was in, I was shifting from 3rd to 4th when it went out. It never made it into 4th gear, does this seem weird? Initially thought it might be the transfer case chain stretched under load and when it was released it bound up; Thoughts? What’s odd is the trans still shifts in and out of every gear just as smooth as it always has with the clutch in or out. I can let the clutch out in any gear with absolutely no grinding or crunching so that tells me it would be one of the following:

1. G56 Input shaft sheared off, clean break; gears not moving. But why doesn’t it shift perfectly clutch in or out engine running? Shouldn’t the non moving syncros keep this from happening?

2. The 273hd transfer case input shaft sheared off, clean break; trans working as it is supposed to? Seems unlikely considering the weakness of the G-56. The transfer case will still shift back and forth between 2h and 4h and N with no noise or grind.

3. The G-56 output shaft sheared off; clean break. Trans gears, syncros, and bearings are fine and spinning as they are supposed to but not spinning the transfer case. Seems less likely than scenario #1 and about as likely as scenario #2.

I have crawled under the truck and there are no leaks, cracked cases, holes, etc.
05.5 2500 slt 4x4 QCsb g56 sx362/476 twins, Smarty S06 TNT, Spec ST Dual Disk, Diprocol fuel, pyro,boost, BDS long arm 6 inch, 37" Toyo MT's, Srt-10 hood, Amp steps, 8.5 Steering upgrade, Carli Low Damper, BD Steering Brace