question on fords and trailer brakes

Dieselchick07

Ok my question is at work we have a 97 F-350 we use it to pull a gooseneck cattle trailer....when you brake the trailer brakes come on right away......my boss now bought a 2011 F-350 when u push the brakes it takes 10 seconds till the trailer brakes come on and when they come on it causes the wheels to lock up! The dealer my boss got it from says thats just how the new trucks are.....so i just thought id see what you guys had to say about it! :thankyou2:

Ok my question is at work we have a 97 F-350 we use it to pull a gooseneck cattle trailer....when you brake the trailer brakes come on right away......my boss now bought a 2011 F-350 when u push the brakes it takes 10 seconds till the trailer brakes come on and when they come on it causes the wheels to lock up! The dealer my boss got it from says thats just how the new trucks are.....so i just thought id see what you guys had to say about it! :thankyou2:

Sounds to me like someone's got the factory controller in the 2011 all screwed up.

My boss has a '11 or '12 with the factory controller and we had it on the gooseneck hauling hay last summer some and the controller in it worked flawlessly with the electric over hydraulic brakes on the trailer. Consistent, predictable stops no matter if the trailer was loaded or empty. Much more enjoyable to drive then my truck with a Tekonsha P2 controller and a gooseneck with electric drum brakes.

I'm going to agree with Mark and say someone screwed it up or the gain is set wrong.

Thanks i tried to say it was the controller but the dealer says its not....the brakes are electric over hydraulic......ive tried different gain levels.....what do you run gain at with a loaded trailer?

No thats not right, something is definitely wrong. I've never had that happen with my personnel truck or any of the trucks at work. The dealer is lying. Gain I run depends on what I'm towing at the time, what trailer I'm using, and whether I have a full load on the truck or not.

Back