Dodge 1500 EcoDiesel

Does it change and get worse when you've got it in 4WD? I would think you'd feel it at ~45mph or less with load compared to free spinning.

I have not tried that but I will within a few days. We had a really mild winter here this year so I never really put it in 4WD.

Update on the vibration. It is a bent rim and I am a cheap bastard so it will wait to get replaced until I have the time/money to get a set.

I have 103k on her now, and other than that vibration I have had no issues.

I do however thing that my intake in getting gunked up with soot/sludge and plan to take it off and clean it up one of these weekends when I have less going on than I do now.

Does anyone use the edge insight to monitor engine parameters? Does it display EGT without adding a probe? It looks like my truck already has a 4 wire EGT probe in it. looking at reducing exhaust weight and doing a 40hp tune from PPEI soon.

lots of controversies surround the 3.0 VM yes I have one 2.5 Years...In lawsuits, QC issues, rotating mass failures and , The EPA civil Charges were Passed on to the DOJ and the DOJ filed the compliant Federal court and the DOJ added criminal charges to the complaint. I have been testing the 3.0 for the last 18 months for ways to bypass the systems emission and to My surprise it did not behave like other BlueTech Engines simply unplugging the EGR Actuator defeated the EGR Valve significantly, I acquired the device to measure tail pipe emissions (Combustion tester) it confirmed My suspicions that the system has conditional devices.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/united-states-files-complaint-against-fiat-chrysler-automobiles-alleged-clean-air-act

Fiat Chrysler used defeat software to beat emissions testing, lawsuit says | The State Journal | theet.com

Weather the NOx is destructive to the point the EPA claims is mute, A Number of parties has challenged the Level the EPA has set But all rulings have been in favor of the EPA , NOx is a natural element but the EPA claims huge amounts of NOx harms the environment and adversely affect Human airways. Law at the time EDs were sold required disclosure of NOx levels VIA CDX.

IMO, FCA is in big trouble Bosch before a German Prosecutors (Bosch) admitted to German regulators it designed defeat devices for Fiat models.

This all being said I had high hope for this diesel to change the Market.

I could go on and on .My Ed has been flawless after I replaced two under sized bearings at 2323 miles do to Tri-metal results in the 300+PPM range from 1st OA.

Attachments

• fca-caa-nov-2017-01-12.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 15 ECODIESEL-170806.pdf
    26 KB · Views: 0
  • 2017-05-23_fca_us_complaint_as_filed Ecodiesel.pdf
    140.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
lots of controversies surround the 3.0 VM yes I have one 2.5 Years...In lawsuits, QC issues, rotating mass failures and , The EPA civil Charges were Passed on to the DOJ and the DOJ filed the compliant Federal court and the DOJ added criminal charges to the complaint. I have been testing the 3.0 for the last 18 months for ways to bypass the systems emission and to My surprise it did not behave like other BlueTech Engines simply unplugging the EGR Actuator defeated the EGR Valve significantly, I acquired the device to measure tail pipe emissions (Combustion tester) it confirmed My suspicions that the system has conditional devices.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/united-states-files-complaint-against-fiat-chrysler-automobiles-alleged-clean-air-act

Fiat Chrysler used defeat software to beat emissions testing, lawsuit says | The State Journal | theet.com

Weather the NOx is destructive to the point the EPA claims is mute, A Number of parties has challenged the Level the EPA has set But all rulings have been in favor of the EPA , NOx is a natural element but the EPA claims huge amounts of NOx harms the environment and adversely affect Human airways. Law at the time EDs were sold required disclosure of NOx levels VIA CDX.

IMO, FCA is in big trouble Bosch before a German Prosecutors (Bosch) admitted to German regulators it designed defeat devices for Fiat models.

This all being said I had high hope for this diesel to change the Market.

I could go on and on .My Ed has been flawless after I replaced two under sized bearings at 2323 miles do to Tri-metal results in the 300+PPM range from 1st OA.

Ever since Fiat bought control of Chrysler it's been in constant controversy with the feds. Whether or not the claims stick, Fiat for years has thought it's above the law with many things and this dates back to the original inquiry that sparked the massive ram buyback a year or 2 ago! When that went down, Fiat ignored requests for recall reports for over 2 years from the NHTSB and then the feds said phuck it, well just sue you.

This is my preference in a light duty diesel.....

Land Rover Discovery Sport Tows 100 Tonne Train - YouTube

Shame my wife's the turbocharged gas 4 banger, but still an AWD blast to drive.

Last edited:
Having issues with my EcoDiesel :(

Driving it today I noticed a wooshing sound with the windows down like a small exhaust leak but not a hiss like a boost leak. Peeked over at the Gauges and noticed the boost was about half of what it normally is, the vgt was closed as if it were trying to make more boost, and the EGT's were up.

I limped it home and tested it for boost leaks, none avail. I did find a moderately concerning amount of oil in the intercooler piping though. Enough to wet the fingertips.

After looking at the minimal amount of information available on these turbos, where is the waste gate? I plan to fiddle with the VGT tomorrow and make sure it is moving freely but I am really pointed toward the waste gate being stuck open.

I read an article on a guy with a 2015 ED, same problems and the dealership just threw a new turbo on it under warranty. Mine is no longer warranty worthy, so before I drop the tranny to swap out the turbo.... Does anyone have some input that would help me out or things to test?

My Eco has about 124K on it now..The only issue I can find with it is I smell burnt oil in the engine area...But I can't find it? No leaks that I can find.

Still runs great, wife is getting around 27-28 mpg

Its a little sluggish on the low end but runs out great.

Andrew At SS Diesel Twin Blowers ,Modded Pump , Bigger sprayers and tuning netted over 600HP and its been awhile since I talk to him . I'm haven't heard it puke on him. So when assemble correctly it a robust power plant.

Found the problem! EGR tube had a hole in one of the ripples. So glad I don't have to pull the tranny for a turbo swap. Thanks TCDiesel for the knowledge you threw my way! Now... do I make my own plate to go directly on the turbo or buy a new tube? I'm worried about not having the correct metal chemistry and causing torsional pressure on the turbo housing but there is a gasket between them so it should be ok right?

On my way to work this morning I heard what sounded like an exhaust leak, it started when I was just 4 miles from work, when I got to the parking lot at work I definitely smelled the exhaust in the cab. Once it gets bright here I am going to have to investigate. Truck has 115,637 currently.

Same problem Eric had. Going to have to cut the ripple crap off and cap it. Someone should make the EGR delete that already has this ripple cut off and capped.

FCA does have some good products, But Blackmega you right Corp FCA behavior is shocking.

As a side note.... drove past one of the new SRT Durangos last night with paper plates and all and what a nice looking set of wheels. Cool in videos, cooler in person.

Found the problem! EGR tube had a hole in one of the ripples. So glad I don't have to pull the tranny for a turbo swap. Thanks TCDiesel for the knowledge you threw my way! Now... do I make my own plate to go directly on the turbo or buy a new tube? I'm worried about not having the correct metal chemistry and causing torsional pressure on the turbo housing but there is a gasket between them so it should be ok right?

Same problem Eric had. Going to have to cut the ripple crap off and cap it. Someone should make the EGR delete that already has this ripple cut off and capped.

Pictures?

Is it as simple as the big truck EGR deletes? Just make some plates and coolant bypass?

I got my pipe off last night, broke two of the three bolts though so I am going to have to get them off tonight after stopping and getting a cap welded on the pipe.

The material is stainless, no idea what grade other than I know at the bellows it is thin.

This picture shows how it looked when I got it off finally. Note the burn though in the heat blanket where the crack is. Side note make sure you soak the crap out of the three bolts with penetrating lube of your choice. I could only get one of the three soaked, and it was the only one that did not break.

attachment.php

This picture shows how bad mine was broken, it might have been stretched open some from trying to get it out, but the break is what it was.

attachment.php

You can see on the end that is sitting on the bench that there is a block-off plate from the EGR delete kit that I purchased. IMHO these kits should block them off at the other end of this pipe. It is much easier to block them off where the kit currently does, but then when this pipe brakes, you are screwed.

When this pipe brakes, you will hear a hissing, not like a boost leak, not like an exhaust leak, but a combination of the two. You can only hear it under load, and you will NOT throw a check engine light. From watching Eric's Edge when his had the same issue I found out that it will create almost zero boost and the EGT's will be sky high compared to normal driving.

As for the question about what is in the delete kit, there are two block off plates, one on the EGR side of the pictured pipe, and one for at the intake. There is also two pieces of coolant hose and a three way coolant y block to connect the hoses together. The coolant hoses are two different sizes, so if you choose to make your own you will need more than one size of hose and fittings.

Attachments

• 20171102_190305.jpg
    20171102_190305.jpg
    467 KB · Views: 0
  • 20171102_190318.jpg
    20171102_190318.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 0
Back