View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 10:44 AM   #58
takedown95

Name: takedown95
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSieck View Post
Our club struggled this year with 3.0 trucks, we're on the fringe of PPL & Outlaw territory. Outlaws shot themselves in the foot with a spec fuel, while PPL had good numbers in the beginning of 2017, then trickled down to 10ish trucks a hook.

My opinion, as a club director, there only needs to be 3 diesel truck classes:
  • 2.6 smooth bore - air to air i/c's, single rear tires only
  • any single smooth bore charger - open driveline, factory frame, DOT tires, 7500lbs
  • Super Stock - multi-charger, cut tires, tube frame, 7-7500lbs

The above are just guidelines, that in my opinion would help grow the classes. This constant rule changing BS has to stop, I've seen probably 15-20 trucks in our area alone get parted out and sold or parked due to rule changes every single year.
A couple of thoughts on your rules from my perspective. Overall, I like the class breakdown. I don't understand why if it's any single would you restrict to smooth bore? or are you saying there's a specific spec size like it has to be a 3.0 or 3.6?

I get concerned with weights being down at 7000-7500 pounds. It's difficult to get diesel trucks down to 7500 with stock frame and metal body. Same with 7000 for a tube chassis and fiberglass body. It can be done but when you have a 158" wheel base you need to put more weight out front. Folks already have a really hard time getting the power to the track in SS and with little weight on the front end you chatter the tires often which results in a broken locker almost every time.

I like weight break downs that would be closer to 8200-8500, 7800-8000, and 7500-7700. This way more guys can get into the entry level classes with more stock trucks and the higher classes can get the power to the ground while still leaving the need to "drive and set-up" the truck.