NV4500 oil type

Red Sleeper

What type of oil should I be putting in this NV4500 I had worked on?

Dodge recommends their own blend that is a dealer purchase. The guy who worked on the trans for me said Castrol 30 weight synthetic. What should I run?

It’s a stock power daily driver 98 12v 4wd.

Amsoil makes one that’s compatible and cheaper than dodge and gm oil. I ain’t had no problems in the 4-5 I’ve put it .

Amsoil makes one that’s compatible and cheaper than dodge and gm oil. I ain’t had no problems in the 4-5 I’ve put it .

Either a Chevy, dodge dealer, or amsoil. John deere also has a synthetic gear lube rated the same too. All work equally.

Royal purple max gear synthetic is designed to have the non corrosive qualities that gl4s have while still meeting the higher gl5 load ratings. So it won’t ruin your synchros. There was a chart I found on their site before I was going to link showing it lists the nv4500 specifically. . Orileys carries it as well so it’s easy to get ahold of. I had amsoil in mine when it went out, it takes some serious planning ahead to get ahold of the stuff though.

Last edited:
I’ve been running a gear oil that Blumenthal in OKC makes and it seems to be just fine. It was the only thing I could find that was not $30 a quart locally

Back