View Single Post
Old 12-19-2018, 07:20 AM   #91
Smoken Gun

Name: Smoken Gun
Title: Diaboli parum adiutor.
Member`s Gallery
I love my Aisin for the most part so far. My only complaint would the f'ing ridiculous torque management these trucks have. Aggressive acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear is basically not allowed. If your floor, or anything close to, the truck from a stop/low speed the computer basically goes "Yeah..I don't think so b!tch. Here's a small amount of power to start. Hit 2nd, okay here's a tad more I guess." Then when you hit 3rd gear and the torque converter locks up at ~33 mph iirc it actually lets you use the engine's power and accelerates pretty good from then on up for a ~8,000lb brick. Seriously, when I say the TM is crazy I mean if you were stopped in the road for some reason and a semi came barreling around the corner and you had a split second to react before being obliterated you'd be better off trying to bail out of the truck then mashing the accelerator to actually scoot the truck out of the way. You can kind of drive around the TM to a degree though. You can press the accelerator down fairly quickly as long as it is a linear progression and get pretty decent response that way. It's not ideal though. These trucks hate full throttle... I don't know what the point of this diesel power war is with the Big 3 if they're afraid/know the power the engines have will lunch the rest of the drivetrain before the warranty is up... Oh yeah, marketing... Even if the aggressive TM wasn't there you'd then have to deal with the ESC nannies though.

The 1-2 shift can be harsh at times. As in- you can felt it shift. Nothing guys on here would be bothered by, but people who are use to squishy car/suv transmissions might be bothered by.

The computer likes to lug the engine also. It lives between 1,100-1,500 RPM when cruising unloaded/no tow haul mode engaged. 1,100-1,200 RPM doing 55-60MPH down two lane country roads and ~1,500RPM doing 70-75MPH on the highway. It accelerates with authority with a little more throttle input without needing to downshift in those situations. I don't mind it lugging, but some people might.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleann View Post
In stock form the Aisin is nice. My brothers deleted truck shifts like complete trash. Feels like the transmission is going to fall out of the truck it shifts so hard sometimes, other times feels way too soft.
Deleted and tuned or just deleted with a smoothed stock file? From what I remember Randy Reyes saying on Instagram you need to keep stock torque management when tuning Aisin trucks since there is no trans tuning available and line pressure drops to near zero during shifts. Stock Aisins tend to flare shift when tuned with much added power irrc.

Last edited by Smoken Gun; 12-19-2018 at 07:24 AM. Reason: spelling/grammar