Cummins Express build up.

looks like fun Max! I love watchin that thing scream in Baytown. On a side note ive always wanted to run a spool flange but the reviews are all over the place, and like stated before what happens when one fatigues after a while and fails... YIKES!

Good luck! Don't be surprised if it takes a while to dial in. Did you re-stall the converter?

The convertor basically has a "stock stall" I am not sure what the rpm is at but will know shortly. I also have a dedicated solenoid for spool up.

How much are we dialing in here? I would think compunds would take more time to tune in right. Get boost where we want it, get drive manageable, play with adjustable timing gear... If I need more ummmpppppfffffff off the line I have 2 adjustable stages of nitrous? Not saying your not right just trying to understand where you are coming from.

Maybe, driveability is not much of a concern anymore if we are gonna try and start playing with the big boys. The guys I am working with are wanting to do just that. It will be driveable enough to take it to the carshow or ride in a parade that is all I care about.

Going back in time a little bit. Pulling the old motor. Compression was way too low and block had a crack in it.

20130103_165959.jpg

20130103_172336.jpg

Porting and polishing another hamilton head. I swear this is the last head I will do myself lol.

20121226_192143.jpg

Intake cut off.

20121124_160113.jpg

Some of the port work.

20121223_192647.jpg

more

20121226_190930.jpg

more

20121223_192748.jpg

Right when I though I was gonna start porting again to my surprise the steed manifold needs no porting at all! Gasket matched perfectly.

20130304_211431.jpg

On a side note ive always wanted to run a spool flange but the reviews are all over the place, and like stated before what happens when one fatigues after a while and fails... YIKES!

Failures typically come from user error unfortunately, the center divider is prone to absorb heat and crack, as all cast iron or ductile iron. We are working on making an inconel insert for the divider which will make the flange serviceable, and as always we will update all existing pieces at no cost.

The convertor basically has a "stock stall" I am not sure what the rpm is at but will know shortly. I also have a dedicated solenoid for spool up.

How much are we dialing in here? I would think compunds would take more time to tune in right. Get boost where we want it, get drive manageable, play with adjustable timing gear... If I need more ummmpppppfffffff off the line I have 2 adjustable stages of nitrous? Not saying your not right just trying to understand where you are coming from.

Most of the big singles I have seen have to leave the line on fire (lots of boost) to stay lit without falling under the charger, but if you have a stock stall and some nitrous, you should be ok. Remember it is very easy to over accelerate a big single and turn it into shrapnel. Even if you stay on the charger, going from 10psi to 60psi or whatevever very quickly can make it go boom. I just don't like big singles for drag racing, but it sounds like you're doing all you can in the planning stages to make it work.

Most of the big singles I have seen have to leave the line on fire (lots of boost) to stay lit without falling under the charger, but if you have a stock stall and some nitrous, you should be ok. Remember it is very easy to over accelerate a big single and turn it into shrapnel. Even if you stay on the charger, going from 10psi to 60psi or whatevever very quickly can make it go boom. I just don't like big singles for drag racing, but it sounds like you're doing all you can in the planning stages to make it work.

Thanks for the input, I am in no way sold on the single conept yet but if I can get one to work right it sure would be easy to maintain, less weight and a much more efficent setup. How fast has cole, bully dog and some of the those prostock guys gone on a single? I also like the idea of carrying a spare charger that I can put on in 15 minutes. At world finals I blew on of my compunds and "if" i had a spare turbo the amount of time it would have took to change it would have put me out of the race under normal circumstances.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, I am in no way sold on the single conept yet but if I can get one to work right it sure would be easy to maintain, less weight and a much more efficent setup. How fast has cole, bully dog and some of the those prostock guys gone on a single? I also like the idea of carrying a spare charger that I can put on in 15 minutes. At world finals I blew on of my compunds and "if" i had a spare turbo the amount of time it would have took to change it would have put me out of the race under normal circumstances.

Those are probably a couple of the hardest running single trucks I can think of. I know Bullydog has a lot of airflow through the engine and tries to keep boost low (or they did the last time I talked to them) and Cole runs a really loose converter. Both run mid 9s. Maybe they'll chime in on any other secrets.

Failures typically come from user error unfortunately, the center divider is prone to absorb heat and crack, as all cast iron or ductile iron. We are working on making an inconel insert for the divider which will make the flange serviceable, and as always we will update all existing pieces at no cost.

Sounds sweet Weston thanks for the clarification! Be sure and post when you finalize the new design I wanna be on the list for one, DD VPs are a bother to drive in public sometimes with larger singles and sticks. Im sure it would benefit Max a great deal though trying to spool/launching at the line.

Last edited:
VMAX, this is kind of off the subject, but what is your opinion on the head's from Zach? why the switch to a new one?

Sounds sweet Weston thanks for the clarification! Be sure and post when you finalize the new design I wanna be on the list for one, DD VPs are a bother to drive in public sometimes with larger singles and sticks. Im sure it would benefit Max a great deal though trying to spool/launching at the line.

I've considered scrapping the whole deal a time or two due to lack of interest, but I realize how beneficial it can be, so we will continue.

Back