HTT 62/71/14 over 80MM S-400 twin setup

same setup i am running 62/13 over s400, may go to an s480 one day but this setup spools fast and cools great.

I've been thinking of adding a turbo to my 62/71/14, maybe a S400 or something. Where could I get the plumbing & how much? Is there a kit price? I can weld my own flanges etc., but can't bend the pipes.

carfichris said:
Nathan what turbos are you running on your 04.5? Did you choose overall power at the expense of spoolup or a best of both worlds pair?

At what time?:hehe:

Right now I'm actually running a stock turbo over a GT42. It starts making boost about 1000 to 1100rpms and the 42 is making boost by 5-6psi of total boost. I haven't really tested it hard (I need a head gasket change) but it will easily make 12psi by 1500rpms.

I will end up doing the same combo (62/71/13 and S480) on my truck but I will wastegate the primary too. I may also run a 66/74/16 and a turbo that flows about 150lbs/min if my '06 doesn't get done soon. Someone has to go over 1000hp on #2 in a CR soon :rockwoot:

I personally like combos that rip on the street for every day driving and light to light throttle checks. So I tend to go small. I might actually build a 62/71/13 and a GT42 as well to see how much better it is then the stock/42.

Hmm So the Gt 42 is a good candidate also. Idaho what do you think the potential of a 62ss over a GT42 would be on a 12 valve? Man I'm all for a little less Hp in exchange for a Light to Light 0-60 ripper!!! What sized exhaust hausing do you think is optimal on the GT 42 ??

The 42 is a bit small for most applications if your going for over 550hp or so IMO. It does spool crazy fast though. I would probably go with a 1.28AR wastegated housing on a 12v. The 42 is quite similar to the K31 except it has a better turbine wheel (10 blade versus a 12 blade) and a higher flowing compressor wheel (96lbs/min versus 90lbs/min.). So the compressor flow is the same as a S400 but with a 82mm turbine wheel versus a 96mm on the S400.

I got on it a bit harder today and saw 15psi by 1500rpms.

Idaho CTD said:
I personally like combos that rip on the street for every day driving and light to light throttle checks. So I tend to go small. I might actually build a 62/71/13 and a GT42 as well to see how much better it is then the stock/42.
Now that sounds interesting. Could you use just the internal gates on a setup like this?

Idaho CTD said:
The 42 is a bit small for most applications if your going for over 550hp or so IMO. It does spool crazy fast though. I would probably go with a 1.28AR wastegated housing on a 12v. The 42 is quite similar to the K31 except it has a better turbine wheel (10 blade versus a 12 blade) and a higher flowing compressor wheel (96lbs/min versus 90lbs/min.). So the compressor flow is the same as a S400 but with a 82mm turbine wheel versus a 96mm on the S400.

I got on it a bit harder today and saw 15psi by 1500rpms.
You have my full attention now :rockwoot: Is this the regular gt4294? What would be a quick housing for a 24v?

nathan at MPI just set up my 06 last week with a 62/71/13ss S480 combo
this setup for me spools very fast , in fact the spooling is close to my HTT 62/65/14 single that I had on the same truck in the past

the top end pull is mind boggling ! this combo rocks its great for the street because its smooth power that comes in quick and pulls long and hard

the truck drives way better on my way back down to california from nathans shop in idaho , my ave mpg was an outstanding
18.66 hand calculated over 880 miles !
thats driving over 880 miles & lots of hills and elevation I was even in 4x4 for over 265 miles due to extreme snow storms my speeds varied between 45-100 mph

prior to the mpi twins I was running a HTT 66/71/16ss very nice single turbo however on the same truck the ave mpg was 12.5 & the best I ever got was 14.5

I am very pleased with the results of nathan at MPI for his expertise & installation.
nathan at mpi knows his business of twin turbos he was the one who suggested I try this combo

I am glad I listened to him cause this is a super street set up !

the only thing I am sorry about is that I drove around with single turbos for almost 2 years although a single turbo can be setup to work well there is no comparison vs my MPI twins :rockwoot:

a match made in heaven :cheer:

thanks to nathan at MPI :clap:
nick

Ph4tty said:
Now that sounds interesting. Could you use just the internal gates on a setup like this?

You have my full attention now :rockwoot: Is this the regular gt4294? What would be a quick housing for a 24v?

I use a GT4202 with a internally wastegated 1.15AR on mine but I also have a 1.28AR housing I'll run if I do a 62/71/13 and GT42 combo. The internal gates are fairly good size so I doubt it would be a problem using them unless your pushing huge fuel through it. I would still try to use a 1.28AR no matter what truck it was on. I really doubt you'd see enough difference between it and a 1.15AR to warrant running the smaller housing.

With the stock turbo I'd say 575-625 and with the 62/71/13 about 650-700. This is on a CR truck. On a 24v or 12v it's going to be lower. BD uses a Borg Warner version (S400x T-4 exhaust housing) of a GT42 in their new R700 twins but I'd rather give low numbers rather than over inflate them for sales. Borg Warner compressor wheels usually flow better, despite being rated the same) but the turbine wheel doesn't flow as well as the GT42. It's a 11 blade turbine.

Back