450-500 Hp 12v pistons

In my 450-500 rwhp 12v tow rig/farm truck what’s the best choice for pistons? I was running the Mahle #286210 pistons from a non I/c application and am wondering if the standard bowl pistons would be a better choice or if I should stick with what I had? I am running Bosch 370’s with about 17-18* timing and a little bit machined off the cylinder head.

If you're stuck on running the 370s with the incorrect spray pattern I would get the piston bowl to match. If you want to upgrade to better injectors with a proper spray pattern I'd get the standard bowl and keep the CR as high as you can. Less smoke, better spool up, more efficient. At least from my internet understanding.

compression goes from 17.7 to 17.5 not a big difference. Running 370's with marine bowls is a factory cummins combo. It favors higher rpm performance over the narrower but deeper pickup truck piston bowls.

Looks like I’m going to go with regular truck pistons and see how it goes with the 370’s . I’m not terribly worried about them since guys have been running 370’s in these trucks for a long time.

Back