Thread: Budget Beater!
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #29
TTR 21

Name: TTR 21
Title: Human Spear
Member`s Gallery
Well i got the 66/74/14 "Better Bullet" on last week and was very impressed at how well it spooled. the He351 would build about 5psi at 1500rpms and the "Better Bullet" would build that 5psi around 1800. This turbo is very easy and fun to daily drive even with no plate and 191's. when i first put it in i could hit 55psi very easy and being that i dont have headstuds yet i had to adjust the wastegate down far enough to only push 45psi. With a longer wastegate bolt i was able to acheive the 45psi at WOT.

I made it to Boise friday night on using just over a 1/4 tank of fuel. Boise is 300 miles from where i live and has alot of windy roads and grades to pull. hand calculating my fuel mileage the "Budget Beater" got a little over 25mpg on the trip down. I got to Firebird Raceway the next day, got all teched in and got ready for test and tune. My first pass did a very very easy launch. i launched with about 5psi and eased into the throttle for just sec then mashed her to the floor. Truck took off like a rocket and mangaed to cut a 14.1 @ 96mph. With the He351 and a hard launch i could only get a best of 14.5 @ 94mph pushing a good 1800* down the track. With the "Better Bullet" it will only hit 1500*. When i went to make my second pass and started my small burnout i noticed it took alot longer to spool the turbo and was almost hard to spin the tires. Well needless to say i couldnt spool the turbo at the line for the rest of the day and was only able to manage a 14.5 at best after my first run. Im thinking either the converter tightened up a ton or my timing slipped pretty bad. Even though the turbo spools like crap now it is still very easy and fun to daily drive and builds 5psi around 1950rpms now. After all my passes i can now feel that the trans is shifting alot slower now at WOT and isnt hitting at hard either. but for a stock trans that is expected and im very surprised it has lasted this long. I will get some pics up later of the new stack i built and installed as well as the "Better Bullet" sitting in place!