View Single Post
Old 06-06-2017, 04:43 PM   #29
BC847

Name: BC847
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Folks, I appreciate y'all thinking about this with me.

jimbo486, I suppose you've found as I, there's not a lot of info out there about this filter relocation plate.

biggy238, Yes, the oil pressure regulator piston is shown backwards as hell in the Cummins photo. That pic of the filter relocation plate is shown minus the oil pressure regulator. It's purchased separately.

I found an article about the Cummins engine written by Roy Berndt that sheds some light on the oil system and coolers. It includes:

Quote:
Covers and Coolers
The B series engine could experience high oil pressure spikes on cold start up (up to 130 PSI), especially in low ambient temperatures. The original design would take oil bypassed by the oil pressure regulator and route it to the oil pump inlet (dump to pump). To correct this, use an oil cooler, oil cooler cover and oil cooler gasket that takes the oil bypassed by the regulator and routes it into the oil pan (dump to sump).

Click the image to open in full size.
Oil coolers and gaskets can give you fits if used in the wrong combination, with either extremely high or low oil pressure, when used in the incorrect combinations.

Cooler #1 is used as follows: Coolers with four-passage drillings have drillings at both the dump-to-sump and dump-to-pump locations. These are not to be used on the ISB (STORM) blocks and are no longer produced for production or service.

Cooler #2 is used as follows: Coolers with three-passage drillings designed for dump-to-sump lubricating systems can be used in a STORM or pre-STORM block if the engine uses a dump-to-sump oil system.

Cooler #3 is used as follows: Coolers with 3-passage drillings designed for dump-to-pump lubricating systems can only be used on STORM or pre-STORM blocks with a dump-to-pump oil system.

Gasket #1 is for a STORM Block and can be easily identified by the “window” and slot in it.

Gasket #2 is for a Pre-STORM Block. The cylinder block, oil cooler, oil cooler gasket and oil cooler cover must be matched up correctly. If not done correctly, high oil pressure or low oil pressure will be experienced.

In talking with Snedge, I should be using that gasket shown as A (from a STORM block).

I've still got to pull the turbos so as to get to the thing and compare the storm gasket to the OEM (B) gasket. The STORM gasket should be here by Friday. (I hope).

Silencer ring MIA, str8 pipe with 10" exhaust tip, 250psi boost gauge, ghost-lights 'n truck-nutz. K&N air filter next (if my grades are good enoufh).

Last edited by BC847; 06-06-2017 at 04:48 PM.