Pulling crank gears

DISTURBED

YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Who has pulled and replaced the crank gears? I tried to get my machine shop to do it and they said there is a "special" process to pulling them off and putting them back on. Something like has to be heated the entire time it's pulled and replaced. I'd never heard of it but they won't do it.

I had one swapped out, I will say the straight one I got back in the box looked like it got very hot!

How about one of those split bearing pullers (like you use on a pinion bearing) and a big press? And a torch of course......

I bet you could get one on there by putting the crank in a freezer and heating the crap out of the gear and dropping it on

We've done it at the shop with hand tools. Easiest method was cutting the old gear 95% of the way through on two side, then splitting it off with an air hammer. New gear will slip right into place if you spray the end of the crank with ether or brake cleaner to cool it off as much as possible and preheat the new gear in the toaster oven, similar to heating a cam gear.

My commonrail crank I heated up and used a locking three jaw puller. It actually came off pretty easy. The VP crank I had to cut the gear off.

posi lock two jaw puller to get it off and as others have stated preheat the gear either in the oven or i prefer using a single burner electric hot plate and a pan of oil. heat it untill the oil just starts to boil and it will slide right on.

Pulled mine off with a two jaw puller. Replaced the line up pin, heated the crank gear just like the cam gear and it dropped right on. Was not a bad job at all just make sure you heat the gear enough before you drop it on.

Thanks guys. I may just give this a try here at the shop instead of sending them out. I'm starting to a few bad cranks that I need to​ pull the gears off of

Back