Best way to build a cheap exhaust cut-out? Blast gate?

Begle1

I'm wanting to add an exhaust cut-out right after my downpipe, anybody ever fabricate one on the cheap?

I'm thinking that a stainless steel sheetmetal blast gate would work decently enough to not sound and look like I had a constant exhaust leak? I'd put it on a cheap pneumatic actuator to open and close it.

The "for real" exhaust cut-outs I've seen have all been butterfly valves; would that be an inherently better design? Where could I find one of those cheap?

how about an elbow with those band-clamp things on both ends to take off when you are feeling froggy? On-the-go cut-outs seem cheesy to me

I got a handful of switches on my dash that aren't doing anything and I'm installing a DPF on my first gen.

Get with my style yo.

Yo, check it out... I need a switch-toggled 4" exhaust cut out. I'd rather not spend the $400+ dollars an off-the-shelf one costs.

I have need of a switch-toggled 4" exhaust cut out because A. I'm installing a DPF on my truck and need to be able to bypass it to avoid plugging it during aggressive driving, B. I need to bypass the DPF to still be able to use my smoke screen, C. I have switches on my dash that aren't being used for anything and I need to connect to something.

What'd be the best way to fabricate an inexpensive, functional, switchable exhaust cut-out?

Any auto experts know what uses a 4" throttle body in an easy-to-mount-to-a-pipe configuration?

I'm more interested in the DPF to achieve a stealth sleeper look, not draw attention to myself and be able to do a little bit of playing stoplight to stoplight without hazing all over whoever's to the right of me. It's just good manners, and because I don't think anybody's done it before. Being in California doesn't really have much to do it; I really get away with a whole lot since I am in California, since we have a nice 10-second excessive smoke law and have no inspections to worry about.

Have you seen the offerings from QTP?

The 4" version includes an electrically actuated butterfly with switch for $185. I think through a distributor (Summit, etc) it can be had cheaper.

We've used these at work and they've held up pretty well.

QTP Application Chart

As for the DPF, I think you could passively regenerate with a little forethought. It may take close-coupled mounting with insulating, but I think it would be doable.

--Eric

Thanks for that option Eric.

I imagine nobody's willingly retrofitted a DPF onto their vehicle because it's an expensive, heavy piece of technology that only lasts a 100,000 miles, causes problems and kills fuel economy... But considering that DPF's have been retrofitted and DPF-equipped trucks have been operated with more fuel than stock, I figure it is far from a technological impossibility.

I'm thinking that I have a hot enough standard duty cycle with no intercooler that I should be able to passively regenerate without too much trouble, and if needed I can start exhaust wrapping, setting wastegate controls to cruise with more boost or even try to press my smoke screen into working as an active regeneration.

Back