Once a lemon always a lemon?

I have two friends in your exact situation. One with a 6.0 and one with a 7.3. I'm a tech so they are always calling me for advice and help and they would always say well it just needs this yet and then it will be good. Both currently have there trucks for sale... the guy with the 6.0 bought a 7.3 as he is a die hard ford guy, the guy with the 7.3 is going to buy a cummins or duramax after seeing me DD my 530 duramax for the last 3 years without it letting me sit once and without replacing anything but brakes and a couple ball joints and my brother DD his 830 hp cummins that has never even had the head off....

Yes the mechanic that I went to bent me over really good. That was probably the biggest mistake with this truck....

My mother bought it for me and she passed away from cancer recently. So this truck holds a lot of sentimental value.

I'd say he took you for a pretty good ride...

And i'm very sorry to hear about your mother. If you want to enjoy the truck you are so very fond of, you can still love it as a 6.0 PS if you win the lottery. Otherwise, the 6 cylinder conversion will definitely take good care of you

Yes the mechanic that I went to bent me over really good. That was probably the biggest mistake with this truck

There are many other reasons why I stick with this truck. My mother bought it for me and she passed away from cancer recently. So this truck holds a lot of sentimental value. Plus I really do like it when it isn't in the shop. If i were to do anything it would be a cummins swap.

Sorry to hear about your mother. I can definitely understand about the sentimental value of the truck. I say keep it! Do a cummins conversion if you have to. I won't even get rid of my 10 year old wallet my grandma bought me, even though it's falling apart.

Reminds me of a joke I heard once.

How do you know when a mechanic has just had sex?

One of his fingers is clean.

*rim shot* :cheer: LOL

I'm sorry, that was uncalled for. Carry on. :Cheer:

I know it sentimental and everything but I would just get rid of it and not even mess with a swap... Unless it is completely done right, but I still think you would have some problems with it down the road. I've been working on one for a year now and have had nothing but problems, but most of it has been tracking down all of the issues that was never addressed when it got put in from previous guy.

But I personally wouldn't do a swap from what I have seen with this truck.

EDIT::: And something to think about you'll have another 10 grand in getting a conversion kit/ppumped 24v motor and whatever mods. Is it really worth it? Your best taking that 10 grand and putting on to another truck.

Last edited:
As a fellow 6.0 owner, I have had my fair share of "I am kicking mine to the curb" moments as well. Granted I haven't had the amount or types of issues as yours, it sounds like despite the truly sweet sentimental value; it may be time to cut your losses.

I am sure you could still get a nice trade-in on it, or a nice private sale amount. I hate to see a hurt 6.0 and a defeated owner, but it doesn't sound like things are moving in a positive direction for either of you. :(

Good luck in whatever decision you make; feel free to PM me! :)

Man, I'd just cut my losses while its running and dump it. I've heard this story so many times with the 6.0's. Not a Ford bash or anything its just not a smart place to put money.

It would be nice if you were in a position to keep it, since its paid off, and get another vehicle as a driver.

There are many other reasons why I stick with this truck. My mother bought it for me and she passed away from cancer recently. So this truck holds a lot of sentimental value. Plus I really do like it when it isn't in the shop. If i were to do anything it would be a cummins swap.

If it's sentimental item than all else is out the window. We are no longer talking about can it be fixed or not or should you get rid of it. I have those types of things in my life and no matter how much money they cost or I'd save by not having them around I keep them.

It confuses me. If you go through 3 long blocks, has the ECM PCM FICM or whatever controls that engine been replaced with the wiring? A bad wire sending mixed signals can mess it up quick.

I owned a 04 that I put 240,000 miles on before it was totaled about a year ago. Since then ive had a 12 valve, which lve always dreamed of owning, but I have to say I miss my 6.0 every minute of every day. I just had minor issues one set of injectors and a ficm. Idk if I was lucky or what. I really do miss my truck I just dont feel my 12 valve compares.

I do love this forum! Thank you everyone for the replies

I'd say he took you for a pretty good ride...

And i'm very sorry to hear about your mother. If you want to enjoy the truck you are so very fond of, you can still love it as a 6.0 PS if you win the lottery. Otherwise, the 6 cylinder conversion will definitely take good care of you
Thank you. An yes the mechanic that did the job was not a good choice

Sorry to hear about your mother. I can definitely understand about the sentimental value of the truck. I say keep it! Do a cummins conversion if you have to. I won't even get rid of my 10 year old wallet my grandma bought me, even though it's falling apart.
Thank you

sounds like you need a better mechanic
The mechanic is 3 hours away back where my dad lives. As i did not foot the bill for the 12k (poor college student) my dad chose the mechanic. The original price quote for head studs alone was 7k. I tried to convince him to go to them but..he didn't listen. Lesson learned.

As a fellow 6.0 owner, I have had my fair share of "I am kicking mine to the curb" moments as well. Granted I haven't had the amount or types of issues as yours, it sounds like despite the truly sweet sentimental value; it may be time to cut your losses.

I am sure you could still get a nice trade-in on it, or a nice private sale amount. I hate to see a hurt 6.0 and a defeated owner, but it doesn't sound like things are moving in a positive direction for either of you. :(

Good luck in whatever decision you make; feel free to PM me! :)
I appreciate it! I am a die hard optimist so I continue to see the light at the end of the tunnel.....but that might just be a train heading my way *bdh*

You can't own a 6.0 without a competent, honest mechanic
My current mechanic is the diesel guy at my dealership where I work. He seems to know the basics, he's not a diesel enthusiast so he doesn't know much about mods. But he does good basic work and keeps me up to date with everything going on. He always checks with me before doing anything and even shows me whats going on. Which i really appreciate.

It's been convenient because my work has graciously provides me a vehicle every time my truck goes in the shop. This 6.0L is my only vehicle and im 3 hours away from anyone I can depend on to help me when I am in a tight spot. I am currently in the market for a good 6.0L mechanic who knows the ins and outs of them, not just the basics. Someone I can go to and they can look at my truck to give me advice. So far no luck, doesn't seem to be any 6.0 mechanics around here.

Back