Anyone work with extreme studs .com?

I am interested in getting a set of the Extreme Studs for my 3rd gen. Was hoping to do a replacement 1 at a time with the bolts starting at the center bolts as the pattern dictates. I had found a few posts and beleive this was done over several steps.
1st - replace one at a time to 100lbs
2nd - bring them up to 120lbs
3rd - bring them up to 140lbs

Is anyone aware if any other steps are need for clearance on a 3rd gen? I am looking to do this over a weekend in my garage if at all possible.

Thanks

Well apparently Diesel Auto Power is the exclusive dealer for their automotive studs.

Been waiting a month on 12V studs. Yay.

Been running them for almost a year now. So far, so good. Much better prices a year ago though.

I was planning on using these until Diesel Auto Power became the only dealer and it takes months to get a set. Went with ARP instead purely bc I will actually receive them when I order them.

Yeah, that kinda sucks. Last year they were a real bargain, and it 4 days to get them directly from Tony.

i bought a set a couple of months ago, direct from them. no problems, and had them in a week. nice studs by the way...

it seems it was like that up until Diesel Auto Power took over all sales. they really should have kept selling them in house....

Uhh ohh. Did something bad happen to someone’s junk with these?
I’ve had a set in my engine for 2 years, but only maybe an hour of run time.

Last edited:
I've installed two sets of these. Both blocks had good clean bottom tapped threads. Both sets turned in so hard on several of the studs that their little hex rounded off and I had to double nut them. They wobbled turning in and I actually to tap (bend) them with a hammer to get the head on. One set is still in and running after being removed and re-installed. The other set broke a short stud on the first torque. It was replaced with no hassle other than I had to ship the broken one back. After 2 or 3 years in a pulling engine the nuts split and it lifted the head. I shipped the customer a set of 625's, and it's been fine since. Personally, I found the machine work and finish to be sub-par at best. High school shop class could have made a nicer looking piece.

Moral of the story, it costs less to buy good stuff once.

Last edited:
I too had issues with Extreme studs breaking. I honestly think a set of ARP 2000's overtorqued to 140 ft lbs is a better/stronger/more reliable fastener system than the Extreme Studs.

I ran them for years with no “stud” issues. The biggest problem I had, was the nuts were too big to fit between the valve covers. Even with countersinking the washers into the head, the edge of the nuts would eventually cut the valve cover gaskets and cause a leak. Finally switched to 625s.

As far as breaking them. When I bought mine, they sent me a couple of extras. I put them in an old block and head, and pulled them to 190lb+ without a failure. Not sure how long they would last like that, but I was still impressed. I think the heat treating with the Extremes was pretty variable. If you got a good set, they were good. If not, then???

Back