Band adjustment with trans service

blackcloudCTD95

I'm doing a trans service and adding a second trans cooler. A2A in front of the condenser. Along with the factory A2A cooler. Has anyone ever mounted a secondary external trans filter? And is it a good idea?

My other question is how do you know when you need to adjust the bands? I feel like 3rd gear is getting a little sloppy. And I have tightned up on the kick tv cable. I have been chasing a down shifting issue for a while. ( if I'm going 40mph and slow down to 20 then try to acclerate again I'm in 3rd gear and I have to manualy drop to 2 on the column) I'm not sure if thats in the valve body or that piston bypassing where the tv cable goes into the side of the trans no trans codes.

Does anyone know the color gear I need for the vss for 35x12.5r20? I cant find the vss anywhere.. All I find is the output speed sensor

Does anyone know the color gear I need for the vss for 35x12.5r20? I cant find the vss anywhere.. All I find is the output speed sensor

I am pretty sure 98 was the first year that vehicle speed was read off the ring gear. I think the speedometer needs to be adjusted through the PCM.

If 98 still used a speedometer gear, we would need to know the gear ratio and true tire diameter as well.

Last edited:
Every chart i see is close but not exact to the previous one I looked at lol. By changing the speedo gear will that help with down shifting?

Every chart i see is close but not exact to the previous one I looked at lol.

I just went through the same thing. It seems that most of the charts out there for the short speedometer gear are for Jeep applications. They all seem to be one tooth off from Dodge. My guess is their speedometer is programmed differently. There are a few gears on Ebay.

How about the band adjustment? So does thw vss not control any shift points? As far as down shifting

Is it a long shaft or short shaft gear?

Last edited:
It's not a bad idea to adjust the bands, but I doubt it will help you.

I only remember the blue and green gear on my truck with 35's. One was stock and one was corrected. I'm guessing it was a 32 and a 26T but that's been 13 years ago now.

I'm going to ask, but from what I recall, the VSS dictates OD and TCC lockup. The OSS dictates governor pressure.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

It's not a bad idea to adjust the bands, but I doubt it will help you.

I only remember the blue and green gear on my truck with 35's. One was stock and one was corrected. I'm guessing it was a 32 and a 26T but that's been 13 years ago now.

I'm going to ask, but from what I recall, the VSS dictates OD and TCC lockup. The OSS dictates governor pressure.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I came up with either 26 or 28 T .. From the charta I saw. Mine locks up arround 45ish but since my speedo is off im sure its more like 50. I scanned it today I had no slip codes, I had a tp code, ( I have the dnr adjuatable tp dial) and a tcc code and trans relay code because of the lock up switch no gov pressure codes.

3rd gear rolls in now instead of of bumping in. I actually queationed if it was in 3rd.

Another vote for HTS. Dusty is the only guy I buy valve bodies from now.

On the band adjustment: if it hasn't been done since the overhaul then it is completely normal to need some adjustment.

Its only got ita got 15-20k ish on the build. No towing. And I dont drive the truck hard. I never see ovwr 2k rpm. I dont need to push it because in around 15-20psi of boost at 1900-2k ( gotta love small twins)

I got my cooler in today. And I'm starting to question thw line size. Its -6 an. Is that too small? I was hoping for 1/2inch lines. I am going where the heat exchanger was using those 2 factory lines with 1/2 in barbs runing to the front of the cooler stack.

I planned on putting both those lines to the new cooler. But I think 3/8ths is too small. Is it?

Attachments

• IMG_3228.jpg
    IMG_3228.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 0
Everything I've read says to run no smaller than -8an. Dave goerend told me the same thing. I ran -8 on mine with 1 cooler under the bed and 1 cooler in the grill, I have a hard time hitting 160 in the pan even when it's 90f

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Everything I've read says to run no smaller than -8an. Dave goerend told me the same thing. I ran -8 on mine with 1 cooler under the bed and 1 cooler in the grill, I have a hard time hitting 160 in the pan even when it's 90f

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OEM cooler up front?

Back