Dropped a keeper, need some help

Downtownbrown

Putting springs in my 94, well didnt even make it through the #1 cylinder and while putting the keepers back in i slipped and threw it right into the #2 exhaust pushrod hole :bang i covered the holes on the one i was working on but lesson learned

Ive been fishing around with a magnet for it for a while and no luck, i will be running to town tomorrow to buy a borescope to hopefully find it. Are the oil journals large enough that it wouldnt get caught in there? I already drained the oil and it didnt come out with it sadly. Any advice is appreciated

Last edited:
Go to your local parts store and see if they have a bore scope you can rent/borrow to look down the tappet hole. If it made it to the pan a bending magnet is what I would try. Unless it is on the shallow end of the pan. May need a rubber mallet to tap the pan to get it to fall in the deep end so you can get it with the magnet

Last edited:
Go to your local parts store and see if they have a bore scope you can rent/borrow to look down the tappet hole. If it made it to the pan a bending magnet is what I would try. Unless it is on the shallow end of the pan. May need a rubber mallet to tap the pan to get it to fall in the deep end so you can get it with the magnet

Headed to get a bore scope this morning, ill try hittin the pan see if maybe i can hear it move

Just found it using the borescope, it was in the very front of the oil pan, took a lot of fishing but was able to get it out. Definentley learned a lesson on this one. Thanks for the advice

On my personal truck, I've lost a lift pump pushrod before and simply ran the truck. A few years later when I rebuild the engine, I found a total of (3) lift pump pushrods in the oil pan, zero ill effects from them bouncing around on the bottom of pan covered in oil.

I'll bet a keeper/lock would have been fine to leave in there other than your mental sanity knowing a piece of hard steel is bouncing around in the bottom end!!!

Back