47RH/47RE Info/Do it yourself thread

wanted to share these pics of my 47re and 48re tear down ... pics of the front pump of a 47re and a 48re .... the bigger cut openings in the pump housing is the 48re .. the smaller ones are the 47re .... look close at the pump gears the 47re are smaller.... the 48re pump gears are bigger ... i put the 48re gears in the 47re housing ,they wouldn't fit few tho's to big

Attachments

• P5050004.JPG
    P5050004.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P5050007.JPG
    P5050007.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 0
  • P5050005.JPG
    P5050005.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P5050006.JPG
    P5050006.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
in this picture theres a hole that the pic tool is pointing at ... i have seen some of these with a smaller hole or insert installed ... what does this do to the tranny with this hole being smaller ?????

Attachments

• P5050001.JPG
    P5050001.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 0
  • P5050002.JPG
    P5050002.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 0
in this picture theres a hole that the pic tool is pointing at ... i have seen some of these with a smaller hole or insert installed ... what does this do to the tranny with this hole being smaller ?????

Transgo's shift kit instructions direct you to insert the kit supplied aluminum tapered bushing into that hole. The bushing comes predrilled with a small orifice in the center. Essentially, the kit decreases the size of that port from roughly 3/16" to 1/16".

That port comes from the accumulator, so I assume it's some sort of a bleed port that allows air to escape and keeps fresh fluid in the accumulator. The smaller hole would decrease the amount of line pressure lost from bleed port.

For those of you with more experience than me...when you check all the end play specs are you doing it with the frictions wet or dry? I don't know if the frictions "soak" up fluid or not, but with a large stack of frictions and steels the fluid in between them could make a few thousandths difference IMO...

I have the ATSG manual and plan to reassemble my transmission this weekend, but I either read over or couldn't find this info anywhere...

Thanks in advance!

For those of you with more experience than me...when you check all the end play specs are you doing it with the frictions wet or dry? I don't know if the frictions "soak" up fluid or not, but with a large stack of frictions and steels the fluid in between them could make a few thousandths difference IMO...

I have the ATSG manual and plan to reassemble my transmission this weekend, but I either read over or couldn't find this info anywhere...

Thanks in advance!

you talking about individual clutch packs? FSM (and everyone else) states to soak clutches before installation, so I would go that route.

As for the input shaft endplay - or the other two selectable thickness bearings - shouldnt make a difference. (the clearance stack-ups dont really rely on the clutch pack assemblies)

Last edited:
you talking about individual clutch packs? FSM (and everyone else) states to soak clutches before installation, so I would go that route.

As for the input shaft endplay - or the other two selectable thickness bearings - shouldnt make a difference. (the clearance stack-ups dont really rely on the clutch pack assemblies)

You're correct in your assumption...end play or tolerances I was concerned about was primarily for clutch packs. I'ev been pm'd by a couple of folks (thank you) that recommend checking the gaps dry, then soaking and installing the assemblies.

Anyone else with experience care to weigh in?

Can somebody tell me the differences, if any(besides price!), between this Sonnax Intermediate Servo for $75

Sonnax_16.jpg

Fits 727, 46RE, 47RE, 48RE, 518, 618, 46RH and 47RH. New eight sealing ring design for a super seal. Fifteen percent less leakage than the original servo. The overall result is more holding force in 2nd, firmer 1-2 and 2-3 shifts that become firmer under load
16% More Holding Power
Firmer 1-2 Shift
More Positive 2-3 Shift
Perfect for Heavy-Duty and Performance Applications
Red Anodized
Eight Sealing Rings
Prevents a Burnt Band
15% Less Leakage

and this TCS Intermediate Servo for $120
HPIM1189.JPG

46RH/RE / 47RH/RE / 48RE / 518 / 618 / 727 TCS Dual Ring Intermediate Band Servo and Intermediate Servo Cover. Zero leakage 2nd gear band apply. The stock servo can have more than a 10% pressure loss at the rings. The servo cover has a brass bushing and lip seal at the steel servo shaft. Cost $119.00

Billet Aluminum
Zero Leakage 2nd Gear apply
Longer band life and 3rd Gear Clutch Life!

Last edited:

I was refering to the "cast seal ring" pictured but my brain wasnt working. That part of the servo doesnt actually move once its in the case.:doh:

I just tore a tranny apart tonight that has a suncoast billet accumulator with 2 orings and 2 teflon seals. My DTT accum. uses 4 teflon seals. Anyone have an opinion on which is better? The suncoast one seems REALLY tight in the housing, not sure if it would effect anything once full pressure is applied though.

Back