View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #50
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
There is a selectable spacer for the lower splines of the intermediate shaft. This spacer adjusts how far the intermediate shaft protrudes into the main transmission case (endplay adjustment). There is a special tool that slips down onto the step in the splines to help measure for a selectable spacer. I use my calipers to measure the distance from the hub down to the step, then from the housing face to the hub.

Selectable spacer is shown on intermediate shaft at top of splined portion:
Click the image to open in full size.

The machined step where the spacer rides is shown in-focus. The two upper rings are the sun shell copper bushings and large enough in bore diameter to not interfere with the measurement.

Using my compound measurement/math method, I came up with 0.780" which calls for a .211" selectable spacer.

Next we need to select the proper thickness of overdrive piston spacer to correctly time the release of the hub for overdrive direct and application of the overdrive brake clutches. The manual calls for averaging (4) measurements between the hub and the face of the transmission housing using a special tool which is a 1/2" straightedge with a machined slot. I use a 1" thick straightedge and deduct 1/2" from my measurement.

I came up with an average of roughly 2.352", after deducting 1/2" for my 1" tall straightedge in lieu of the 1/2" specialty tool:

The chart calls for a 0.200" spacer shim:

New bearing to replace old one:

New bearing installed where it will eventually end up, for now it's kept there for safe keeping until the rest of the transmission is ready for final assembly.

OEM 12v Block

Last edited by Big Blue24; 04-10-2014 at 01:52 PM.