F250/Cummins Swap

Well. I hurt the trans again, seems like it's probably the Belleville spring inverted (again).
Does it matter whose upgrade spring I use? My search last night landed on georend and it looks like a well put together kit.
I've been running 200psi for over a year. I think cranking the engine past 3600 built too much pressure.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Maybe I should wear a mask like the protesters in Columbus over the drag queens.

Carnage. I guess I'm a stone cold transmission guy now, I wasn't even phased by this.

I don't have a good pic of it, but the piston has been beveled by the Belleville spring. The tabs on the spring are about 30% of standard thickness. Both inner and outer piston seals shot and fragments inside the drum. The outside diameters of the frictions are worn down from uneven/partial application. Steels are blued around the outside. 2nd gear band looks great.
I still don't know how I didn't catch it sooner.

How do we feel about reusing involuntarily heat treated steels? I'm thinking no, but I really don't have a reason not to since they have no spalling or deposition.
1cfbc057f7095f1962f37cdb0a408c5f.jpg
0ddeca6df98eef3d98d9329167f81717.jpg
fb00b870f0d915744e6aa7f1d4e0b8de.jpg
d93e74b0f22aa14e29ce0a1f190fbc04.jpg

Sucks being right all the time. But the good news is it looks like yours dogs ears could double as pig blankets

Sucks being right all the time. But the good news is it looks like yours dogs ears could double as pig blankets
I only keep'em around to use their ears for hand towels or parts covers. ?

I have to make a correction, and I knew it didn't make sense, the spring didn't cut the edge of the piston, the piston pushed the tabs of the spring into the planetary and the planetary cut the tabs down. I realized this because if the aluminum piston was rotating, it would have been lathed before the steel spring. The planetary doesn't seem to have much damage, but you can see where it contacted the annular teeth.
0c5d3b2e48a4fe9770509ec21a3de5c8.jpg
c469b9b649dcd8e354db96317287d20b.jpg

Last edited:
Are you going to leave it at 200psi? I've read some trucks are at 250psi, crazy.

Edit: Do think it will hold at 170? Less stress on everything if your not having a slipping problem.

Last edited:
Right now I don't have a reason not to leave it there but I'm open to suggestion. I had planned drop back to 185, but with upgraded parts I don't see a reason to. The only apparent side affect of the pressure I've seen on this trans is this issue. The direct clutches look fine to me. I know converter ballooning has been an issue mentioned in the past, but I don't see that with mine.

Ordered parts early last week. Not impressed with the company I ordered from. I can't keep the timeline I wanted to have this repaired on.

Got the trans split from the Tcase and stood up. Pulled the filter.

I don't understand why the flat filter is preferred when the newer style has 3 times the filtration surface?

I need to get some cleaner and wash the case down and give it a new coat of paint.
38e872e3fa114422084021d523b16a68.jpg
7735934050c02fef3539542aae0745b7.jpg

AGCO Permatran 821XL with blue dye

It's funny, I couldn't get TES 295 mobil Any more so I switched to Permatran, now they've auctioned off all the dead stock of Permatran that they had so I'm going to have to find a dealer to get it from.

Last edited:
Trash Panda moves under its own power again. Billet piston and thicker spring so hopefully I won't be after this issue again. Cleaned up the wiring harness to get rid of the wires I added after initial build. I hear the make magnetic sockets. I guess I'm too cheap for that. Weight restriction has me incapable of lifting the trans so I had to improvise to get it loaded back on the trans jack.
2ea7debd0f16559474eb6c2d193c8f4d.jpg
0ee70b63f725064be18a26825436ec86.jpg
4b5dc6236c2fa29c982cc6faf724b227.jpg
99f2d8eeed090db8494ffe672fd43ea9.jpg
b60d1ef31415f7a20dece4415f4ae66d.jpg
4e95786ec450d19dc1527800bc788c2b.jpg
b0ef631b0893dbad429d7ced0072e8c5.jpg
2e00f940f8f6d4149faca0764a65dcf9.jpg

Anyone on here near expert level in vehicle alignment?
I replaced all of the consumables between summer 2021 and March 22.
I almost think the OEM steering was more responsive before I replaced it.

Anyway, I don't think the shop I used knows shit about alignment. I also want suggestions on who to get a box and pump from. The assist has been going down hill for a while, and after the suction line bled out last summer, the pump has been roaring quite a bit.

Well....... Don't work on your shit after your dog gets put down.

I had about 1.5"-2" free play at the top of the wheel after hubs, links and ball joints with a good alignment last year.

I over adjusted the mesh screw on the steering gear. That apparently side loaded the sector shaft against the needle bearing in the cover to the point that the sector shaft wouldn't unload. I loosened the adjuster and drove the truck around the house hoping it would loosen up, no luck. I wedged a pickle fork under the sector shaft and turned the wheel by hand, no luck. I put a bar against the shaft and lifted the whole truck with a bottle jack and it still wouldn't unload the sector.
I loosened the top cap with the box still mounted on the frame and tried to unscrew it off the adjusting screw and it still didn't come loose.
I finally got pissed and pulled the box off the frame, put it on the tailgate and whacked the sector shaft with a ball peen. The top cap shot out and the sector went back to where it need to be in the box. There was about 1/4" of shiny metal sticking out of the dust shield before it came apart.
I ordered a seal kit. I guess I'm going to go through it and seal it.
I was going to go to Fitzgerald's truck show next weekend but I don't know if I'll have it together by then.

Last edited:
That is all a bugger.

Nice work getting the trans together, notice anything different after reassembly? I need to order the heavy Bellville spring.

That is all a bugger.

Nice work getting the trans together, notice anything different after reassembly? I need to order the heavy Bellville spring.
Honestly no, it's back to how it ran right up until I killed it this last time. I left the line pressure where it was though, and I haven't really wound it up to see what it does at elevated rpm. I was worried that the thicker spring would introduce a mechanical lag in the shift, but it seems to be fine.

Well, I ran it full tilt on tune 5 through 105mph having a tantrum passing some fools that wanted to vape and brake check in Tennessee.

I went to Fitzgerald's shindig hoping to Dyno and that turned out to be a clusterfuck. Truck did great though, turned quite a few heads when they figured out it didn't sound like it should.

I reassembled/resealed my steering box and set the mesh to factory spec. Box is junk, has a huge score in it, but not on a sealing surface. It's not leaking and feels a lot better. I guess I'm gonna squeeze the life out of it. I did buff the scores down to try and prevent it from making more sparkle babies. I drove across Tn Hwy 52 which crosses the Cumberland Plateau a few times (winding elevation changes) and 3 or 4 rivers on the way back from Fitzgerald. Steering was much improved. I was in a mood and didn't really take good pictures of the box.

ed121ed504c5c12167398dd08d598703.jpg
3b55f4cafb2a32dc479229c46f3e6ddb.jpg

Back