sooo im on my 5th 48re ...just wondering if anyone else is having the sam problem

twinturbotrev

sooo im on my 5th 48re ...just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem

i keep smoking the direct drive clutches ...this it my third ats full billet tranny .....and im starting to think that it may be the electronics in my truck im just wondering if anyone out there is haveing a problem like this...... i know in older 727 style transmissions in the "T.V" cable isnt hooked up that the trans will smoke the clutches in like the first 1000 miles im starting to think it could be the electronic transmission throttle valve actuator (ttva)

Last edited:
ATS is your prob.

You need to Call Jeff Garmon!!!! Stop wasting your money.

Numbers in my Sig.....Or PM me and I'll get ya in touch with him...

Just reading the thread title I wondered if it was the purple junk causing the problem. I guess I was right.

im flat broke so i cant really go off blowin money .....ats has been pretty good with sending replacements but they wont help me problem solve whats goin on

i have an ats converter in my truck(not my choice it was there when i got the truck) and as soon as i get the money..that ats converter is coming out. either gonna swap in a manual or do a complete rebuild and not sure who ill go with if i go that route.. but i can tell you it wont be ats.

Again... Take the TV motor off of the Transmission (with the electronics still plugged in of course,) and have someone turn the key to the on position, the TV motor should cycle. If it does not, or is slow to cycle, that is your problem.

It is more than likely the motor. I have seen lots of these go bad. I check the ones on our trucks pretty often. Just hook a pressure gauge up to the tranny and test it at full throttle. You should see about 175psi at wot with the shift enhanser(or whatever you are using to control pressure) on race. Or give Dave Goerend a call. He has a fix for this problem. We'll be trying it on two trucks this week. I'll let you know how it works.

thanks blackdiesel .....all im using for transmission control is a smarty and a ats copilot ....alot of people are telling me to call goerend i wish i knew about him before i blew my wad at ats but keep me posted on what happens and i will really appreciate it

I put a Goerend in an 06. Didn't have enough line pressure, so Dave Goerend on the phone on a Saturday had me take the TV motor apart and index the gear one tooth. Then we had the correct line pressures.
Try calling ATS on a saturday!

They are all good choices. I have an HTS and Dusty uses Suncoast stuff and has been doing the old 727's for a long time. He will be my choice for a long time to come. Jeff Garmon isa great guy I only meet him a couple times and he is always friendly to all.

i kept doing the same thing too high of line pressure, even with tv cable adjusted. ended up doing a stick swap works great now

I had the same problem and went through three 47re transmissions, they finally figured out that the aluminum pressure regulator in the valve body was sticking intermittently. I gave up and am putting a built Allison 2400 in. Just to much money for me to keep spending.

I think that is why Goerend has started building brand new vb's for all his units. They found that just putting shift kits in used ones sometimes caused problems. So they just started putting new ones in everything.

Back