Thread: Restoration
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2016, 06:37 AM   #4
RockinRam96

Name: RockinRam96
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
If valves are not used and lubricated they always seem to stick or don't work properly from setting around. All it takes is a little bit of something in them to make them work improperly. A truck setting around could have little critters living in the lines. They could all work perfectly or one or two may not work, or none of them work. Its a total crap shoot.

As far as motor is completely up to you. Personally, I'd stay away from a Detroit. In my opinion they are just oil leaking noise makers. I have not desire to drive one let alone own one.

A Caterpillar 3406 A, B, or C or a Cummins 855 are fun motors. Chances are the 350hp Cummins in the 359 you are looking at is a Small Cam 855. Which there is nothing wrong with but they tend to have cam shaft issues and not much power capabilities. My 73 Kenworth had a small cam in it that had a failed cam shaft. In the end I think I spent about $750 putting a new cam in it. That was cam shaft, gaskets and fresh oil. It wasn't a terrible job, but I had also had the rocker boxes and Jakes off at least 10 times prior to that so, I had a routine, to say the least.