06 common rail piston in 12v?

Smitty256

Too Much Time
Having some thoughts about putting 06 pistons in my project 12v truck, I know being cheap never gets far but my thoughts are since the bowl is bigger than the 12v bowl you could run more timing without it washing the cylinder walls. Has anyone ever done this or doing it right now? I am currently doing a motor build due to cylinder wash and need some ideas! Thanks!

I think you'd have better luck putting 12v pistons in a 4 jaw chuck on a lathe and widening them that way, lower compression kinda makes them lazy though.

Recently did it. Stock bore, basic head work, ddp injectors, benched 12mm, drop in cam, 472sxe, did right over 900 to the crank on mild timing.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

95Cummins5.9, that what I did with one of my stock sets and I’m just scared if I go any further the ring landing will weaken as much as I’m gonna need to take out.

Pudge, awesome man I appreciate it! Was it really hazy or hard to start?

Didn't seem to be. Should be running in the truck this weekend, will know more about driveability and manners then

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

I've not run CR pistons in a 12V. But it used to be fairly common to run 24V (VP44) pistons in 12v applications. Though, that was 15 plus years ago Ha ha

Local machine shop to me was putting a 12v short block together with CR pistons for a local shop. He had injectors setup for the center bowl pistons. The machine shop owner said he's done 3 engines for him this way and they "ran good" was about all I got asking about it.

I asked this question way back when I was new here, I got the same varied responses.

Wider bowl = more timing. The more timing you can throw in a 12 valve when attempting over 1000hp the better. Especially heavily fueled trucks. UCC qualifier Josh Mccormic had vp44 pistons in his truck and it ran pretty darn good. Allowed for a lot more timing than a factory offset bowl. Does it make or break a setup? Not sure on that one, but it allows for a lot more tuning with the timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know one thing.
When I tear down the engines with these pistons in them, there's almost always one with either broken rings, or melted bowls, or both.
In my mind, the top ring is too close to the crown and the bowl edge is too narrow for the heat involved.
This is, usually, on stock junkyard engines and I've heard worse stories with hopped up stuff.

Something to think about.

Mark.

Back