Has anyone swapped to from 3.73 to 3.42 with the G56 & a 5.9?

973604x4

aka landphil
Has anyone swapped from 3.73 to 3.42 with the G56 & a 5.9?

Im tired of RPM's. I drive on the highway too much to enjoy the gearing anymore. My highway mileage can be 16 or 20 depending on speed. the 20mpg was 61mph. :badidea:

I was talkin to Bodie aka SPEEDSHIFT about this topic. He said that he can get his hands on 3.42's....somebody is making them aftermarket...but it wasn't exactly cheap. I told him to try it and let me know how much MPG's changed and he replied trying to get me to try it first :hehe:

Has anybody made this swap with a G56 and the 5.9? I can read all day about it on 6.7's but can't find much info concerning the 5.9. if its a proven ~2mpg on the highway, its probably worth the swap.....

Last edited:
depends on how much you drive, those mud tires in your pics actually make you get less mpg, getting the rpms down will help though. have you thoughta about a gear vendors overdrive.

i have nitto terra grapplers now.....had pro comp xtreme a/t's.....0 mpg difference. 305/55/20.....speedo is off 1mph at 70mph.

its cheaper to swap to a 3.42 instead of gear vendors.

Wouldnt hurt, I had the same issue on my 06 even with 315/70's it drove me nuts, another option would be a g56 from an 08+, much lower OD. But it will probably a more expensive option.

Who's carrying those 3.42's?? I'll try it! Is this an option on the newer trucks?
gear vendors will cost you 4 grand when all is said and done!

Just search 'AAM 11.5 4:42' google works wonders. And I'm planning on swapping to the 09 g56. I got a deal in it for free. Got one off my car lot I'm gunna swap out. Can't beat that.

Who's carrying those 3.42's?? I'll try it! Is this an option on the newer trucks?
gear vendors will cost you 4 grand when all is said and done!

3.42 became an option with a G56 in 08 i believe...ive also read that it was only available on single wheel trucks, not duallys

thank you forrest for that reminder :bang ..............my RPM would be ~2063 at 70mph with 3.42's. I was hopin for a little less but that's still an improvement.

but i still can't decide if its worth the money....

dangerous06...give it a shot, less us know if the gear change really helps mileage in your normal driving. :Cheer:

Its not really worth the money, especially since you have two axles to swap gears in. I was wanting to do the swap on my '07 2wd, but at $6-800 for the swap(gears and labor) itll take a while to pay itself off. At least with a 4wd you can also go with taller tires to drop the revs, im limited with a 2wd, I dropped my rpms about 100 just going to the 305/50/20s.

I think the gear set was $450~ last I checked, for one axle. IMO get a tall narrow tire, try the 285/75/17s.

dangerous06...give it a shot, less us know if the gear change really helps mileage in your normal driving.

OK then if we all chip in 20. I think I can do this next week! Send your cash to my paypal account!!:Cheer:

Im tired of RPM's. I drive on the highway too much to enjoy the gearing anymore. My highway mileage can be 16 or 20 depending on speed. the 20mpg was 61mph. :badidea:

I was talkin to Bodie aka SPEEDSHIFT about this topic. He said that he can get his hands on 3.42's....somebody is making them aftermarket...but it wasn't exactly cheap. I told him to try it and let me know how much MPG's changed and he replied trying to get me to try it first :hehe:

Has anybody made this swap with a G56 and the 5.9? I can read all day about it on 6.7's but can't find much info concerning the 5.9. if its a proven ~2mpg on the highway, its probably worth the swap.....

I was looking at the 3.42s really hard for a while, but by the time they are in the truck for both front and rear it will be about $2k, with bearing kits, gear sets, oil, and labor. This is the way I see it, the gear swap would be 2k and you would get about a 400rpm drop, a gear vendors is around $4k for 800-1000rpm drop which is great, but twice the cost and you still have a turd trans that you cant get parts for, and are not reliable under high HP. Oooooorrr you can swap in an automatic get a 400rpm drop, and build it stronger than the G56, aaaaannnd you dont have to shift gears.

Yes of course a built auto is more expensive, but for me it is a better solution, I get lower rpm for the better mileage, I make the truck way faster on the track, and I dont have to shift gears anymore which is just something I want now.

I have 3.42's in my 04.5. Its the best damn all around gear I've ever had in a truck. 80mph is just shy of 2k rpm in od. fuel milage is great. And I have plenty of tack left at the drags

Back