View Single Post
Old 10-26-2017, 04:47 PM   #12
Exodus

Name: Exodus
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tobin View Post
I think Jake is correct. I believe Miller own Esab... Personally I use and like Miller. Mine is an older unit that works great... I believe it is the Miller 251 model. I have run many large spools of wire through it and it works great every time!!! I have NEVER run into thermal limits or shutdown with it. Duty cycle is a VERY important spec for welders and I believe on my 251 it was rated at 80% duty cycle at full output meaning it would be capable of operating at its highest voltage and current settings for 80% of the time without thermal shutoff. Smaller units may only have 40% or even 10-20% duty cycle so be aware of the ratings and specs of machines you are considering.

If the Esab model is a dual MIG/TIG as mentioned above it is more versatile, but at what cost??? Is it less capable at either, are there sacrifices somewhere to do both???
The old millers are great. The new "chinese" millers, not so much. Go to the LWS and have them open up a lincoln 256 and miller 252. The lincoln uses all copper wiring and is over built and made in USA. The miller is assembled in the USA with chinese components and aluminum wiring. It was a tough pill for me to swallow because i'm a big fan of blue welders.

I haven't see how the inside of the ESAB is made, but the ESAB name is built on quality. The esab migmaster 250 is a legendary for power and durability. ESAB also uses euro standard plugs which give you 100's of choices of gun and consumable manufacturers. Miller and lincoln use proprietary plug so you're held hostage to their guns and consumables only.

For my needs, the rebel 235IC is on my to buy list. You might not need TIG tho. I'd ask you to take a look at the lincoln 256 as well. It's a serious machine.