View Single Post
Old 04-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #5
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_d View Post
Hello all, im Jay and this is my first post on this forum.
Im a logger from the state of georgia and have been searching cummins info on this site for years.

I have a tigercat feller buncher with a 215 horsepower isc 8.3 with caps fuel injection system. Yesterday, for the 3rd time my pump broke the gear pump coupling and so now its time to repair. Have bought multiple rebuilt units and cant get them to last much more than a year, so its time to retro fit a p7100 on this pig and hopefully be done.

I know the injector tubes can are custom and can be sourced through scheid diesel for less than $600.

I know the oem lift pump only runs 2 minutes at start up to prime the main pump and goes into bypass mode so im going to plumb in a holley blue electric between it and the fuel filter for supply fuel. I plan to just unplug the bypass pump and draw through it.

After that things get a sketchy. Im not sure if a p7100 numbered PES6P110A120RS7214 will have the same size shaft as the caps pump, but ive found a smoking deal on said pump. That pump is susposed to be a 250 hp pump and it worries me that this pump might not be tuned well for a wide open throttle all the time application. I also worry that it might run hot (water temp, or egts). The machine has a humongous radiator with a hydraulicly operated fan, but doesnt operate at highway speeds, air flow might not be as good.

Also a little unclear on the bracketry required to mount this pump. Do i reuse the isc brackets? Or order 6ct brackets from cummins?
Holley Blue isn't enough pump for a p7100.

The 250hp really won't run much hotter, and a "stationary" engine radiator will flow better than a road core anyway. That radiator isn't designed for road speed, and a road core isn't designed for sitting still.

As for the shaft, without having your p-pump here, I can't tell you. Also, a road truck governor will NOT work in a stationary high speed application. Been there, done that.

The brackets will not interchange, so you have to build your own.

I have multiple QSC's sitting here, and we have always been able to repair them and keep them running for way cheaper than a swap. I probably have about 400 QSC's running in combines at 285-310hp. I think I have a 250hp stationary engine pump here too off a C series.

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply