VP Dynamic Timing Vs. Advancing

there really low i was doing 150hp more last month on 2 different dynos, but that was with a silver bullet and now with the s472 i cant get it to lite or make full boost on the dyno so an adjustable timing gear will help alot,
And i have 6 time slips for the day that are all with in .20 sec and 3 mph

Someone posted a timing map they found for the VP44 once on TDR and as I recall it started at 8 degrees and topped out at 25.

when you unplug it reads -40* so the truck thinks its really cold out, but i dont think the timing would be advanced unless they thought raising the timing would raise cyl temps for cold weather running

You can use the offset keys for either the cam gear or pump gear, ~ 24-25° is the limit with an unmodified piston/case.

Last edited:
when you unplug it reads -40* so the truck thinks its really cold out, but i dont think the timing would be advanced unless they thought raising the timing would raise cyl temps for cold weather running

The person I heard it from was pretty sure the timing was advanced. It showed a small increase in power on the dyno.

Advancing the timing will increase cylinder temps and decrease EGT's to a point. Fuel is being injected earlier in the stroke so it's burning longer inside the cylinder.

ill try the IAT thing in a few when im back on the rollers. i know on a gasser it ritchens it up when you unplug the ECT or IAT wonder if its the same in a diesel

I have had my IAT unplugged for quite some time. It only goes to 3 cyl high idle when it's cold outside. When it was warm, it never went to high idle with the IAT unplugged.

Back