Thread: Building a shop
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 07:02 AM   #92
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
Been 13 years and the outside door finally rotted to the point of getting me off my butt. The first install I had it on the outside of the opening. That was a huge mistake. The door is now moved to the inside stud wall like it should be. I'm going to order a glass storm door to mount on the outside of the opening. This will serve two fold. One, it will keep the rain off the new door, seals, jambs, etc. And two, it will give us some dead air to help insulate between the outside and inside. The new set up should work much better than the first. Dang metal building door openings are not framed the same size and normal dwelling doors so I had to build some trim. Really happy with the result.

Floor started to rot from the leaked water. Had to remove all the flooring that we made from rough cut lumber. Going back with vinyl plank.

Click the image to open in full size.

Really damn nasty under there. When I removed the door, the threshold plate just fell off it.

Went back with a 1x12 ripped to 9" to span between stud wall and framed opening. This will allow the storm door to mount to the metal and not the wood. That should keep the rain and snow off the wood completely.

Tuned out nicely. Just need to fill screw holes, paint, and order a storm door.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8038.jpg (301.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8052.jpg (219.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8054.jpg (155.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8064.jpg (132.2 KB, 0 views)