Ethanol in diesel

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
This is news to me....maybe someone placed the sticker in the wrong place?

Attachments

• IMG_20170903_192621448.jpg
    IMG_20170903_192621448.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 0
Woaaa. Learn something everyday. Or WV pumps don't have the stickers. Probably don't know how to spell it.??? lol

I went to Exxon's site to try to find info on this, and found bubkis. They are open about ethanol in their gasolines (and obviously E85) but not one thing about ethanol in diesel.

I think the sticker was mistakenly applied to the pump.

I just called my local fuel distributor and he said the pump is incorrectly labelled. There is no ethanol in any diesel.

I'm know it helps out farmers and makes the gas cheaper but it makes a mess out of a engine, especially one that doesn't have the oil changed as often as it should, makes for a lot of sludge... It's also pretty bad on small engines, I run it in my mower just because ethanol free is kind of hard to find but I've heard of it causing some trouble.

Last edited:
I'm know it helps out farmers and makes the gas cheaper....

Only reason it makes gas cheaper is the government subsidies...how do you make $2.35 gas from $3.55 corn, and spend millions of dollars building the refinery to do so?

Either way, there is no ethanol in diesel, but there is probably biodiesel now, usually up to 10% most places.

Chris

Only reason it makes gas cheaper is the government subsidies...how do you make $2.35 gas from $3.55 corn, and spend millions of dollars building the refinery to do so?

Either way, there is no ethanol in diesel, but there is probably biodiesel now, usually up to 10% most places.

Chris

The ethanol I think replaced MTBE IIRC. MTBE is some pretty nasty stuff

Gotcha. That would make more sense that it's a very small portion...god forbid they actually explain things when they spend millions of taxpayer dollars...

Out here in ethanol and corn country they just say "we need corn" but don't pay any extra...

Chris

Sig600,
There are ZERO subsidies for ethanol in the US. Like Z said, it replaced a very toxic additive while boosting octane. I run at least E10 in everything and have no regrets about it. I believe there are more problems with the base product 84 octane junk. Refineries kick out this junk fuel, blend it with ethanol to make a better fuel, and blame ethanol for all their problems.....

Sig600,
There are ZERO subsidies for ethanol in the US. Like Z said, it replaced a very toxic additive while boosting octane. I run at least E10 in everything and have no regrets about it. I believe there are more problems with the base product 84 octane junk. Refineries kick out this junk fuel, blend it with ethanol to make a better fuel, and blame ethanol for all their problems.....

I've been in the boat business over 25 years and have seen before ethanol/after ethanol well. It soaks water like crazy, up to 10% in open vent boats especially, then becomes very corrosive. All the aluminum in the fuel system is badly corroded and pitted. Breaks down the rubber in everything under about 2004. And that's before it just breaks them down by "phase separation"

And I hate to say it but I have had ALOT of work that they wouldn't have had to pay me if they didn't ever run eth fuel.

That's like asking how you get a $3 cheeseburger out of a $1000 steer. A bushel of corn is a wee bit bigger than a gallon of ethanol.

A bushel of corn can (supposedly) make 2.8 gallons of ethanol and takes about 9.8 gallons of water to process.

Back