Module-Gateway

Hoiyay

Trying to track down electrical issues (loss communication).

Trying to follow these wiring diagrams isn't that much fun.

What is this "module-gateway" they keep talking about? I can't find anything about it, but from what I have read about it....its the central hub that all the CAN bus communication goes through. So it seems to be pretty important to find it it to test it.

Do our 3rd gen cummins even have this gateway module? If so, please tell me where its at an anything else you know about it.

Also ...what is this power train control module? I thought we only had the ECU on the side of the block (that incorporated a pcm...and tcm I think.
4269a30ce5980811f5729b56e4c10ca7.jpg
83d20d5f8a528832fdeb80d710bfd313.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Gateway Module refers to what is typically called the "TIPM" on 2006 up.
It's incorporated into the fuse box.

Mark.

What I was thinking too....but these diagrams don't make sense.

C1 connector...pin 37....no such thing. C1 connector is 14 pin.

C10-22

C3-22

Doesn't add up..

Whoops, sorry, thought you meant the second picture.

Well, if the TIPM is the gateway....why can't I find a specific wiring diagram that tells me where exactly its at?

I've alreayd gone through 3 TIPM just replacing them and sending back thinking they were bad. Pretty confident the TIPM is fine, but the truck is not.

If that is the very important gateway....I need some kind of way to diagnose it or figure how whats going on.

Unplug the abs module. A bad module can cause comm issues on the line. I had a customer's truck which would not communicate to the ecm at all.. Found some bad wiring under the tipm and still would not communicate. Unplugged the abs module and it started communicating immediately. Same goes for airbag module.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Unplug the abs module. A bad module can cause comm issues on the line. I had a customer's truck which would not communicate to the ecm at all.. Found some bad wiring under the tipm and still would not communicate. Unplugged the abs module and it started communicating immediately. Same goes for airbag module.

Thanks, I'll try that out.

I have a feeling that some modules are also fried since everything else got fried when the transmission connector took everything else out.

That's how all this started on this truck. He was trying to flash with an edge and it fried some crap. After it was locked out of communication. We changed tipm with no luck. Repaired wiring with no luck. The wiring fixed some other issues he was having prior to this. We unplugged abs module and that fixed the comm. Next on list was airbag module which had a code that wouldn't go away because of this situation. I don't do work on safety, brakes or steering so he took it to the dealer and they replaced the airbag module too. Weird stuff and a pia to trace down buts it's back in the road with efi tuning now.

I unplugged abs....no change at all.

Guess I'll unplug airbag next. Where is that module located?

Fine examples of why I part them out and nearly never build one.
I've been to the point of unloading 4 or 5 30s from an AK on one before. :mad:

Electronics are of the devil, on a good day.

Mark.

Dodge...Different? LOL
If they did things to make it simpler for the user, there would be no need of dealerships or techs.

Not that many of the "techs" at a Dodge dealer can hit their own asses with both hands. :hehe:

Mark.

Just an update. Took it to the dealership to get a legit answer.

Was told it needed a completely new harness. Kind of make sense. I was getting very random voltage readings on all kinds of things all over the place.

And the tech confirmed the same thing. Said he was reading 12v in places there shouldn't be no voltage, even with the connectors unplugged in the circuit, etc etc.

Back