Garret turbo's???

Laramie4x4

I'm still FASTER
Hey guys I'm having a hard time understanding all the info on garrets web site about turbo's im used to BW turbo specs... I'm trying to learn.. !!! This winter I'm building a nasty motor.. and I want the equvilent of a 66/SS480 something... I was looking at a GTX 4202 and a GT55.. what would those sizes be?? don't judge me!!!! any help will be great...thanks Michael...

Hey guys I'm having a hard time understanding all the info on garrets web site about turbo's im used to BW turbo specs... I'm trying to learn.. !!! This winter I'm building a nasty motor.. and I want the equvilent of a 66/SS480 something... I was looking at a GTX 4202 and a GT55.. what would those sizes be?? don't judge me!!!! any help will be great...thanks Michael...

Those would be more like a 475 over a 510. Bit much. Know someone running close to that setup.:lolly:

Try this
GT4094R over GTX4508R Its more of a 68 over a 480 but the next step down is a 64.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT40/GT4094R_751470-22.htm

TurboByGarrett.com - Catalog

I see... those maps screw me up Travis... to many numbers... I would like something a bit bigger than 480... it will be evternally gated.. I wanna go big but not to big becasue of our 6800ft.. and Iwill have the supporting mods for them as well..

nitrous = spool in a bottle :D

if you can build one of these trucks and read a road atlas, you can read a compressor map... if you need a tutorial, hollar!

I see... those maps screw me up Travis... to many numbers... I would like something a bit bigger than 480... it will be evternally gated.. I wanna go big but not to big becasue of our 6800ft.. and Iwill have the supporting mods for them as well..

Well if you want bigger than a 480 try the 4094 over the 4718. Thats a 68 over a 488 roughly. Or if you just want to get plain stupid with it do the GTX4508R (480) over the GT5541R (510). You know roughly what that set can do! Not sure if you would be getting groceries with it though.

year... I don't plan on getting groceries with it anymore... but the stand alone ecu should help and other power adders for next year... the 68 488 might be what I wanna try out...

Forrest... send me a dummy guide!!!! I was in the Army I can read a map.. I'm mostly confused becasue I really never paid attention the the numbers other than what I haev seen BW before and what everybody else runs... what about Turbonetics ball bearing turbos?? they any good or should I stick with the Garrets..??

Turbonetics are based off of Garrett's if I remember right. If you want the nice Garrett base chargers try Precision Turbo. Be ready to spend a bunch of cash no matter who you chose for Garrett or Garrett based turbos. Think 5k or so per turbo.

Garretts site gives a pretty decent explanation on reading maps and how to read their catalog as well.

I see... I know I will be spending the money.. I found a site and I'm ruffly looking at 7500 for both.. and thats without getting any discounts... you know I have talking skills!!!!!

The GTX42R and GT55 would be a monster pair. A 4088R and 4718R would be good, but if you want something like the 66/480 pair, try something like the PTE billet 6765 and 4718R.

Here I was thinking a great pair would be the GT4088 and the GT5533-94, big external gate and go...

A regular S480 is around 118 lbs per minute of air.

A regular GT4508 has an 80mm compressor but flows a little less at 114 lbs per minute.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/images/catalog/Turbochargers/gt40_images/GT4508R_Comp_large.gif

The new GTX4508 has a 79.4mm compressor but flows about 125 lbs per minute. I've read claims of S480's with race covers flowing about 125 lbs per minute but I've never seen an actual compressor map supporting this.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/images/catalog/Turbochargers/gt40_images/GTX4508R_comp_e.jpg

The GT4718 steps up to an 88mm compressor wheel and max flow of just under 140 lbs of air per minute.

GT4718compmap_e.jpg

For large turbos, 7.5-8 HP per pound of air (not boost) is a good estimate. Thus 140 lbs/min X 7.5-8HP = 1050- 1120 HP at the wheels.

I'd suggest you figure out how much HP you need/want for your project and size turbos accordingly.

I am running the 4094r (hybrid) over 4518 (gt45 with the gt4718 compressor wheel- flowed at 135 lbs/min). It is getting me over 900 rwhp mark with 150hp stix.

Their are alot of Garrett combos you can do. Also the GT50 is a killer piece that you don't see on the Garrett catalog. The unit has a great turbine at 98mm its not such a hoss to get spooled like the GT55.

Back