View Single Post
Old 12-29-2016, 09:06 PM   #30
CowboyEdition

Name: CowboyEdition
Title: Because Diesel
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
Just a couple of updates. I ended up trying out a Stant 45479.
It has the exact same dimensions as the Cummins one except less depth and it operates at 195F instead of 182F.
Stant 45479 (195deg) next to stock 1997 12V Cummins (180deg) T-Stat - Album on Imgur

I've also read that the Gates 33039S is an option but I haven't tried it myself.

With the Stant, my gauge stays exactly at 190F while driving, and I actually get head out of the vents. It also seems like it fluctuates less, but the first crack open goes to probably 205F.
I have towed with this and had no issues with heat.

The best part is, this tstat is $8, instead of $50+ from Cummins.
I didn't read the thread you posted so I might be covering what's already been said, but if you want to stop the fluctuation, drill one or two 1/16" holes in the thermostat rim. Place the holes towards the top of the t-stat housing so the air bleeds out better when you refill the coolant. This allows a tiny bit of coolant to flow right past the thermostat sensor and seems to allow it to control temperature much more evenly.

Glad to hear your using the 45479 STANT. That's the only aftermarket one I've tried that's held up over time.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
DFI 5X0.014's, Standard Pump Mods
S300 VNT Turbo, Mechanically Actuated
Home-built trans with goodies
Borgeson, DOR, Bilstein and Carli Upgrades