Old 03-29-2018, 10:50 PM   #2
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
t800 doors and steering box adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Issue #1 Door gaskets and such need to be done. Ive already dicked around with new strikers and adjustments. Wind comes in at the latch and at the top corner. Should I look at anything else other than gaskets?

Issue #2 steering box adjustment. No hole in the frame. Best you just take the box off or is there a trick? I can't get it right enough on the frame there's too much slop for my liking. I try doing it the way TRW recommends (take drag link off and apply 10 ft lbs to pitman arm by hand and eliminate slop) but I just cant tighten it enough.

I bet there's more than a few tricks you guys know of for this stuff.

Gaskets for the door or it needs bent or “adjusted” with a 2x4 stuck in it and pushed in where it’s leaking. I’ve got a W that leaks at the bottom corner and I think the wind caught it and bent it but no one will fess up.

If the box is loose buy a new one (not reman). You can adjust them but if you don’t do it right it can lock up driving.

I went through 3 reman boxes before I got one that didn’t wander.

Check your axle U bolts. Had a 98 that drivers side was loose and made it handle like azz. Didn’t notice until someone turned the wheel and watched it move.

Last edited by jfaulkner; 03-29-2018 at 10:51 PM.