View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
HSPerformance

Name: HSPerformance
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthews View Post
Return your mm to stock and watch what it does. It removes the ECM tuning first. Once it does that, it connects to the TCM and returns it to stock too.

You have two ways around this. (TCM is located on passenger side firewall, has two plugs going to it, they do have a little retainer clip, it pulls towards the front of the truck to unlock it, then you can pull the clip)

1st- and safest- is to pick up a spare tcm, or borrow a buddies that doesn't have the OD software. With the key off and your tcm tuned, unplug it and plug in the spare. Return the mm to stock. Unplug the spare and plug in your tuned one. (You don't have to pull the tcm out of the truck, just unplug it, the spare can sit on the fender well)

2nd- The way I've done it on around 10 customer trucks and probably 20 times on my truck. With the tcm tuned (mm installed) turn the key off and unplug your TCM. Get back in the truck and turn the key to the on position. DO NOT START IT. I locked up one by accidently starting the truck. Just put it in the on position. Then return the MM to stock. It will return the ECM to stock and then try to communicate with the TCM. Give it a minute to make sure its trying. It will say something like "Communicating with Transmission, please wait" or something like that. When your sure that its done with the ECM and trying to find your TCM. Unplug it. Turn the key off. Get out and plug your TCM back in. Make sure you plug it in correctly. I've never got the plugs crossed so I don't even know if they can go backwards. But plug it back in and start the truck. Plug the MM back in and you'll see its ready to be installed on any truck. Now you can read and flash your ECM with EFI.

There's a little bit of tweaking that needs to be done on some different OS's to make efi live work with the H&S OD. But it does work and works very nicely. Its kind of hit or miss which one's need it and which one's don't. Atleast with what I've noticed with my customers..

Don't be scared of doing it either way. I've done it a bunch. In fact I just removed a BM last week for a customer and did the same thing. He's running the H&S OD tune and EFI now.

If you have any questions, shoot me a pm with your number and I'll call you and walk you through it. Main thing is don't start the truck with the TCM unplugged and above all, don't unplug it with the truck running.

This procedure is NOT supported by H&S. Now that we know customers are exploiting our software capabilities, we have issued a tech bulletin for our guys to watch for TCM / ECM / H&S Product failures. If we see the tell tale signs (yes we will know), you will have no warranty and be responsible for your own damage.