Air compressor issues

bigstacks95

Diesel Doc
Our flatbed truck at our shop, 2001 Sterling (Freightliner) 6500 with a VP Cummins, is making the puffing sound from the air compressor. Google research says its the unloader on the compressor. So I talked to a Cummins dealer and they told us that the entire top half of the compressor needs to be replaced, for like 800 something bucks. Is there any other way to replace the unloader on the compressor from a B series? What does it even look like? I am used to pickups and medium duty stuff, this is my first truck with onboard air so I'm in a little bit of new territory.

Thanks for the help.

Phone an air brake place. A replacement compressor shouldn't be that much. Replacing the unloaders on something like a tuflo 750 in a semi isn't that hard to do. An unloader kit is about $100.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

What kind of puffing noise? usually with an unloader issue you have issues building pressure or the purge valve makes a ratchet noise from the unloaders not sealing properly. do you have a pic of the compressor?

It is a Wabco compressor. Its puffing when its not running, thats what made me think its the unloader. Heres pics of the compressor.

6022798348db1211111ce74806efc1ff.jpg

535ae0fd68754326a5749d0f9faebd46.jpg

48cf60b09bd92170070e6c42d355d93f.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Where the noise come from? is it pumping back out of the intake hose? if so that style compressor the unloaders and check valve are all integrated into the head and theres no way around changing out the head assembly

Found it. The intake hose had a split in it, which would also explain why it seemed like it was down on power since it hooks to the back of the cylinder head. *bdh*

Thanks for the help everyone

I believe there is an updated hose (silicone) available for your truck,

Will look at my shop notes , we take care of a few of the same model
Sterlings

I believe there is an updated hose (silicone) available for your truck,

Will look at my shop notes , we take care of a few of the same model
Sterlings

That would be good to know! I ended up putting a piece of hydraulic hose on there but would prefer silicone if its available. I know anything Sterling at this point in time is a crapshoot....

I'd certainly go to the Cummins dealer that told you ~$800, on something they didn't even look at to diagnose, and chew some ass.
Sorry, this kinda' schit of dealers bending you over for the "fun" of it just pisses me off.

No reason to diagnose something, shoot a high price and not even look at it, except to break it off in someone. :mad:

Mark.

Back