Gooseneck trailer features

Instead of triple duals why not triple singles with supersingle (load range g or higher) tires?
50% less tire, plenty of capacity for anything you need.

That^ is probably about the same for materials to build that beast of a trailer.

My recommendation would be to add up cost of materials and manhours to fab that trailer and then compare that to buying one and using it as-is or cutting it up to meet your needs. I know Big Tex has a 40ft (31+9) hydraulic dove tail.

If I was buying or building a trailer right now I would want torque tube, hydraulic dove, electric over hydraulic disk brakes, hydraulic jacks, winch in the neck, and 12k tandem super singles.

I currently have a 40' (35+5) 24k gooseneck built in 1997 without torque tube. I will never own a trailer without a torque tube again. I can flex the trailer over a foot when it is hooked to the truck just by getting on the trailer corner and making one bounce.

I have seen the full tilt trailers also, they seem nice, but I would not want one to load vehicles or equipment on. If you were moving containers all the time it would be worth it, but not for vehicles and/or equipment.

Last edited:
I would not want to be loading or unloading two pulling trucks on a wet, 40' full tilt trailer. I vote for that rig Jory posted.

Why not buy a semi and an old moving trailer and just be done? Then you can haul 2 pull trucks, support vehicle, and whatever tools you want and never have to think about weight issues.

Because then I'm stuck paying license and insurance on a truck that would sit 90% of the year. Having a trailer sit outside really wouldn't bother me.

Mack truck and trailer - cars trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale

Copied from Gary and put in this thread......This will be cheaper than your trailer alone AND you will roll in style. :D

Have you guys driven cab over trucks? I'm only 6'1" and you couldn't pay me to fold up and drive one all summer long LOL

My recommendation would be to add up cost of materials and manhours to fab that trailer and then compare that to buying one and using it as-is or cutting it up to meet your needs. I know Big Tex has a 40ft (31+9) hydraulic dove tail.

I had considered buying one and modifying it, still an option

If I was buying or building a trailer right now I would want torque tube, hydraulic dove, electric over hydraulic disk brakes, hydraulic jacks, winch in the neck, and 12k tandem super singles.

I'm not a fan of the hydraulic dovetail trailers. It's a steep loading angle and then you're stuck with unusable deck space because you can't carry much weight on the dovetail while in transit.

Hull trailers makes a trailer that is hyd full tilt and/or dove.
Maybe they could provide a bare bones trailer you could modify.
Still not sure 3 axles is necessary.
What do these trucks&associated tools/parts weigh?

Last edited:
Are you positive on the not being able to haul that much weight on the hydro doves tails?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Consider looking into building a very low profile trailer, with small drive over wheel wells, and air ride so you can dump it and drop the tail. When I had figured out on a 26' trailer I could get the tail 12" off the ground with a straight deck. That made for a very tolerable hydraulic folding ramp with very little angle.

I'm not a fan of the hydraulic dovetail trailers. It's a steep loading angle and then you're stuck with unusable deck space because you can't carry much weight on the dovetail while in transit.

10K lbs on the tail isn't enough? It all depends on where you put weight on the front...

We have a 35' Corn Pro Custom built for us. Hydraulic tail, hydraulic jacks, 12K axles, and we finally got enough tire on it when we switched to 235/75R17.5 18 Ply tires.

If you don't think what you're building will be heavy, think again...ours weighs 11,800lbs EMPTY. You put 20-25K on it and you know it's there, but a 2016 GM Duramax handles it fine except in steep hills.

AS for the sleep loading angle of a hydraulic tail, yes, it is a bit steep...however, with the extra complexity of a full tilt deck, not to mention the weight, I would think there are better options.

What would I do for loading 2 trucks? Probably build a low pro dual tandem style deck, with a little longer tail than normal and a hydraulic tilt set of "ramps"...but I never minded driving a truck on a good set of ramps anyway.

BTW, we do have a sliding axle Landoll 435...it's nice, but there are nicer options now. Our next one will be like this...Landoll 900 Traveling Tail
IMHO,
Chris

Last edited:
Better carry about 10 sets of wheel bearings and the tools to change them. Our experience with a couple of tri axle single wheel trailers is that they eat bearings. Cannot imagine dual tri axle.

the PJ states : Deck has 10,000 lbs lift capacity and 4,000 lbs hauling capacity from center point forward.

Its a 10ft tilt, so 4k at 5ft? How heavy is the back of a puller?

I really like your idea of lift/lower axles, you could adjust tounge weight or reduce drag/wear depending on load.

You really need someone to design the axle placement...60/40 is no where near right for even loading of the deck to have a 20-30% goose neck load.

So full tilt is extremely hard to do without sliding rear axle.

Back to features. I turned and then welded on a solid steel post that some sealed bearings fit onto. Then I've got a steel hoist that slides onto it, the winch mounts onto that, and I even made a par to grab the other side of the trailer for really heavy loads. I can pick up and set down engines, wet logs, ATVs, etc... It's probably my favorite feature on my trailer.

Back