Camshaft for my Cummins??

White_pearl12

I have a 91 intercooled cummins and i am wanting to do atleast 600HP (i WILL BE PPUMPING IT). I am wondering if a mild camshaft is a good idea... A buddy of mine is telling me cams kill spoolup and driveability but he is the only one that has told me that. Is he crazy or have i gotten bad info from other sources??

If you're moving a lot of air (for a VE), it's worth it in my opinion. But then, like everything else, it needs the supporting mods to better realize its potential.

(I've ZERO experience with the Ppump).

Last edited:
I have a 91 intercooled cummins and i am wanting to do atleast 600HP (i WILL BE PPUMPING IT). I am wondering if a mild camshaft is a good idea... A buddy of mine is telling me cams kill spoolup and driveability but he is the only one that has told me that. Is he crazy or have i gotten bad info from other sources??
I second a hamilton 188-220 and for the price you can't beat it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

It is a ton easier to make power when the truck is inhaling and exhaling at optimum times. Spend the coin on the cam, but make sure you also spend the coin on injectors and turbo's to properly support the power goal you want. Making 600 isn't too bad, but making it reliable is where the effort/thought needs to be placed.

I have a 188/220 in my 06 6.7 and could not be happier. I can tow gross weight of 33k and not get over 1150* EGT pulling the mountains.

I have a colt big stick in my 95. 181/210.

yes I like it.
what did I notice most from it. slightly lower egts and slightly less haze at WOT.

everything else on a truck that makes 600+ stayed very similar. I lost 3lbs of boost. that alone shows it was doing something a bit better. however....... $600 can be spent in better places for a build of only 600hp. the stock camshaft will work just fine.

Hamilton 188/220

I haven't been in a single truck that went to a Hamilton 188/220 that had reduced spool and driveability. It's a really great cam for mild builds that will still see street miles often. :Cheer:

I'd venture to say it's the most common aftermarket cam to make it's way into any Cummins and has lots of validation miles at this point!

I bought the long block 12v out of Garmon's old race truck. He dyno'd at the time like 860hp with it, same day cam change to a 188/220 and dyno'd again and lost 15hp peak but did show a slight increase early in the dyno pull. I'm not knocking the cam change and it does spool larger chargers easy, is it really worth it on a street ve pump? I don't know. The dyno graphs and comparison is still on here from way back like 2012.

I bought the long block 12v out of Garmon's old race truck. He dyno'd at the time like 860hp with it, same day cam change to a 188/220 and dyno'd again and lost 15hp peak but did show a slight increase early in the dyno pull. I'm not knocking the cam change and it does spool larger chargers easy, is it really worth it on a street ve pump? I don't know. The dyno graphs and comparison is still on here from way back like 2012.

He said it's getting a ppump.
Also, you've got to measure the area under the curve to really understand if you're loosing power or not.

Understand, you could almost lay the graphs on top of each other, his setup at the time didn't respond much at all.

I remember when Joesixpack was still around, he did something similar with the same result- didn't really gain anything. IIRC, Zach claimed he installed the cam wrong.

I remember when Joesixpack was still around, he did something similar with the same result- didn't really gain anything. IIRC, Zach claimed he installed the cam wrong.

I think that he had so much air available, 3 good sized chargers if I remember right, that the small step up in camshaft didn't make a noticeable difference. I think going big on camshaft would have made quite a bit more top end power.

Back