Truckers, lets see your rigs!

95% is done with live bottom/flowboy trailer, the small guys use bobtail trucks or belly dumps. End dump DOES seem like asking for trouble if it starts setting up any. I guess they’d spray it down with diesel first.

There is also a lot of asphalt hauled in end dumps around here. And yes bulk head doors are very nice especially in half rounds. There is a company close by that insurance made them put bulk head doors in all of theirs so drivers weren't climbing over the sides to clean out.

If I’m not running 80k in the mountains, mine has been getting 5.3-5.4 but that’s it,
5 is my average.

Faulkner’s stuff is what you want. I love how mine runs and that’s with a handicapped turbo right now.
411549a6d05ee13fef490424774495b2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If I’m not running 80k in the mountains, mine has been getting 5.3-5.4 but that’s it,
5 is my average.

Faulkner’s stuff is what you want. I love how mine runs and that’s with a handicapped turbo right now.
411549a6d05ee13fef490424774495b2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think we need to trade wagons! I don't have the ss one that's in my pic anymore. Needed a 53' for what I do so got a 53' sliding spread but it's white. I sure miss the stainless.

probly wasn't thawed out yet

Possible, he's a Marine so that expression is sorta stuck there.

Since Faulkner tuned this truck he's had trouble getting the engine hot, and the transmission gets hot on a hard pull....I think putting the right fan in the truck has cured the engine part. Had some little dinky 30" 8 blade fan in it with like 4" around the shroud everywhere...swapped in a 32" 11 blade fan and I think that took care of it so far. He's at 93K today in the mountains and only his transmission is getting hot still...

Stupid dealer put a little 6"x15" cooler under the cab and thought that would cool enough. Not I get to find a heat exchanger to cure the transmission getting hot. Why they didn't use the same part that is on every other Peterbilt on the road I'm not sure...

Chris

Possible, he's a Marine so that expression is sorta stuck there.

Since Faulkner tuned this truck he's had trouble getting the engine hot, and the transmission gets hot on a hard pull....I think putting the right fan in the truck has cured the engine part. Had some little dinky 30" 8 blade fan in it with like 4" around the shroud everywhere...swapped in a 32" 11 blade fan and I think that took care of it so far. He's at 93K today in the mountains and only his transmission is getting hot still...

Stupid dealer put a little 6"x15" cooler under the cab and thought that would cool enough. Not I get to find a heat exchanger to cure the transmission getting hot. Why they didn't use the same part that is on every other Peterbilt on the road I'm not sure...

Chris

Here is the “cooler” I’ve put on my trucks.
27d312b733bb1b5eb32207783057aee5.jpg

Never leaks

Your truck must be a freak...1194hp, doesn't get hot and no transmission cooler at 100K lbs??

Sounds like I just need to send this one to you to sprinkle some magic on it. Either that or you can just take the gauge out of it....I'm betting you don't run a gauge on transmission temperature.

Chris

Last edited:
Your truck must be a freak...1194hp, doesn't get hot and no transmission cooler at 100K lbs??

Sounds like I just need to send this one to you to sprinkle some magic on it. Either that or you can just take the gauge out of it....I'm betting you don't run a gauge on transmission temperature.

Chris

Dad’s truck had the water cooler when it was a 10spd, swapped in the 13spd and put an air cooler on it. Cooler started leaking so I looped the hoses and it made zero difference in temp between all 3 setups. So when I swapped my engines I ordered the $10 block off plate and threw the “cooler” on the scrap pile.

Since the harness I used was for a Pete glider I never got around to moving the gauge wires. They’re virtual gauges on the nav screen. However there are 2-3 other setups identical to mine and they don’t have temp issues so until it starts puking oil out of the seals......

Friend had 9 coal trucks in eastern KY for years and said 90% had the lines looped. So if they can load 50 ton in a bucket and roll through the mountains, mine should live an easy life.

Last edited:
Either way, in my searching for solutions to my "problem" I found this...

Problems

It seems our boy allan5oh has not always been as smart as he seems now...

Chris

Eh what's the problem? The genius that hooked it up put both coolant tubes to the high pressure side. It was doing nothing!

Put an air cooler on my headache rack and haven't seen anywhere near 200 since. Thats with the new spec Eaton oil which is thinner than previous. But I also cruise in direct now which makes a huge difference.

Last edited:
Eh what's the problem? The genius that hooked it up put both coolant tubes to the high pressure side. It was doing nothing!

Put an air cooler on my headache rack and haven't seen anywhere near 200 since. Thats with the new spec Eaton oil which is thinner than previous. But I also cruise in direct now which makes a huge difference.

And your making the same power as a stock C16 and hauling 1/2 a load. Completely shocked yours isn’t getting hot.

And your making the same power as a stock C16 and hauling 1/2 a load. Completely shocked yours isn’t getting hot.

Well it was in Montana at elevation and 105+ degrees with a sidewind. Usually when you get into the elevation it cools right off but I doubt you easterners know that.

Well it was in Montana at elevation and 105+ degrees with a sidewind. Usually when you get into the elevation it cools right off but I doubt you easterners know that.

At 105* your trans is considered “normal” at 100-120* over ambient air temp which would be 205-225. Eaton considers 250-300 hot and even then they consider it acceptable for short term use.

Trans temp is like intake air and water temp. Everyone picks a random number out of thin air and considers it the “max”

They say conventional oil starts breaking down at what 230-250°? Something like that anyways, so I usually use that as my reference. If the oils still able to lubricate it's not too hot. Oh and I run west too and even at 80k pounds and it 90+ degrees outside I've never had mine go above 175 on a longer pull and I have no cooler. I never did understand how using hot water was supposed to cool it.

Liquid exchanger is to help get to target temp. If the trans is cold, get to operating temp, if it's hot, shed heat to the cooling system.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

How hot is your tranny getting? On a longer 6-7% grade mine will run 150-175° and my coolers bypassed.

240-250* on the gauge in 90* temperatures

Dad’s truck had the water cooler when it was a 10spd, swapped in the 13spd and put an air cooler on it. Cooler started leaking so I looped the hoses and it made zero difference in temp between all 3 setups. So when I swapped my engines I ordered the $10 block off plate and threw the “cooler” on the scrap pile.

Since the harness I used was for a Pete glider I never got around to moving the gauge wires. They’re virtual gauges on the nav screen. However there are 2-3 other setups identical to mine and they don’t have temp issues so until it starts puking oil out of the seals......

Friend had 9 coal trucks in eastern KY for years and said 90% had the lines looped. So if they can load 50 ton in a bucket and roll through the mountains, mine should live an easy life.

I figured you'd tell me something like that...problem is my driver has a gauge and won't let me take it out now, so I'll have to get more cooler in it. I have asked him 5 times what happens if he backs down a gear and rolls on with no response.

Chris

Back