Truckers, lets see your rigs!

I didn't know there was any Cummins you could lug? Maybe a K Series, never been around one.

I always run them like a Detroit...slam your hand in the door before you took off so you were good and mad and wound them tight.

Chris

None of that matters, it’s whatever some guy on the radio says. And fuel mileage is all that matters, piss pound main bearings so you can get .0002 mpg extra is king.

I didn't know there was any Cummins you could lug? Maybe a K Series, never been around one.

I always run them like a Detroit...slam your hand in the door before you took off so you were good and mad and wound them tight.

Chris

I wouldn’t even lug the Ks to what the N14 was recommended to run at, but a KT is still a short stroke engine for its displacement.

855 based engines issue with lugging stems from the long rod, it’s great for high rpm but not lower engine speeds.

Drivers arent lugging cause of what some tool on the radio says, or what a brochure says. Its just that shifting is hard...

Some but Rick’s boss was telling him to keep RPM down because he swore that’s why his mileage sucked. But yea that’s a big downfall of giving drivers HP, they don’t have to shift so they don’t and things go bad.

I wouldn’t even lug the Ks to what the N14 was recommended to run at, but a KT is still a short stroke engine for its displacement.

855 based engines issue with lugging stems from the long rod, it’s great for high rpm but not lower engine speeds.

Makes sense, pretty much exactly what I've seen in the ag world with the big "truck" engines in 4wd's. Of course I've never had a problem with a V8 in a tractor either ...

Some but Rick’s boss was telling him to keep RPM down because he swore that’s why his mileage sucked. But yea that’s a big downfall of giving drivers HP, they don’t have to shift so they don’t and things go bad.

Silly me, thinking that letting an engine turn and be happy versus dragging it's ass off all day might actually net better economy?

Chris

Makes sense, pretty much exactly what I've seen in the ag world with the big "truck" engines in 4wd's. Of course I've never had a problem with a V8 in a tractor either ...

Silly me, thinking that letting an engine turn and be happy versus dragging it's ass off all day might actually net better economy?

Chris

I think the problem with the V8 engines were people wanting to run them against the limiter, back them down a couple tenths and they will run a long time.

Chris
Turbocharged engines are most efficient under boost, lower rpm = higher torque = higher boost. If engines cant take it they are just crap.

I've never seen a math equation with 3 = signs.

Doesn't fuel factor in when creating boost. Kind of thought low rpm high boost, takes fuel to make boost.

Turbocharged engines are most efficient under boost, lower rpm = higher torque = higher boost. If engines cant take it they are just crap.

Only engines that were designed to be run at lower RPM there genius.

We have farm tractors here that run great at 2200RPM and get good economy, but run them at 1800RPM and they drink fuel and have now power.

Why I responded to you, I don't know...you won't understand my post and tell me how wrong I am and I must be doing it wrong. Oh well.

Chris

Just had a D12 in here that is a turd at low RPM, is that because of the European tuning?
1460d705f4f4a675b4ceba7c16013bb7.jpg

Last edited:
No. Thats a US volvo. Poor US tuning. If it was a euro spec youd turn that little c18 in after drivin it...

I’ve heard those euro motors will run daylight to dark in 4hrs. Too bad this one goes through belt tensioners every 50k miles. And of course it’s a Volvo branded pos that’s almost $400 where those “expensive” Dayco ones for a Cat are less than $100

And in a pulling tractor! The 3208, DT466 and V903 are great examples of engines that will make thousands of HP if you replace ALL the OEM parts including the block.

903s are stock block, they just put sleeves in them so thick there is no chance of ever hurting the cylinder walls, just the bottom end.

Back