Impacts: air cat or IR

I have Matco 1/2 & 3/8 they are both made by IR they are to my experience the best. Snap on I'd nice but they are heavy. The IR has plenty of power to do whatever you want with. So IR is my vote.

Sell all these for a living and Snap On MG725 is the daddy power and durability hands down!

Every week when the snap-on guy stops by, his trade-in box is full of used Snap-on guns.

My Titanium IR guns have been going strong for over 5 years without a rebuild and still deliver as much torque as the day they were new.

Either IR guns are exceptionally good or Snap-on guns are demo-craps.

Sell all these for a living and Snap On MG725 is the daddy power and durability hands down!

That's is the poorest balanced gun I've ever used. Hated it with a passion. However, I loved my little snapon 3/8 gun. IR 1/2 and 3/4 composites.

We have two Snap On 3/8 impacts without issue for last 20 yrs and an IR 1/2" that iPad been flawless for about the same time. Hobbyist use mostly so not a ton of use like some of the others.

I am looking in to impacts at the moment and curious what your opinions are. Looks like the options are Air cat or IR. Will be getting 1/2in and 3/8in.
Please share personal experience
Thanks Austin

I'm actually looking for a impact as well and have been looking at the snap on mg725 . . . It is 435 new. Whats the price of a IR 1/2 inch with comparable torque? Is there a big difference in price?

I assumed the IR would be cheaper am I wrong?

Not sure, just saying!! Ive had my composite "matco" IR guns for a long time now, my 3/8 is around 10 years old, been dropped, even as high as from a lifted rack, prolly only oiled it 10 times or so, and works as good as it did the day I got it.

All snap on guns I have seen lately have too many issues.

I have a snap on 3/8 and 1/2 wouldn't trade them for anything i had an ir 3/8 and traded it in on the snap on, well worth it,at my work we had an air cat 3/4, thing would of been better off chucked down over the bank, I went and bought a cp 3/4, Can't complain about it at all!

I've got an IR titanium/composite 1/2" gun and wouldn't give it up for any amount of cash. I'm currently waiting on someone to put the 3/8" version on sale. I love my Snap-On hand tools but if I need air tools I get IR...

Last edited:
IR hands down makes the best impact guns. Snap on are garbage. Never owned a Aircat but a subcontractor of mine has a few. He always borrows my employee's IR's every job he is on for me. Pretty much sums it up.

I just looked on amazon and theres about a hundred bucks difference between snap on and IR! I would imagine for a shade tree mechanic like myself either one would sufice. I can't imagine theres a HUGE performance difference between name brands. Maybe just a comfortabilty aspect.

I just looked on amazon and theres about a hundred bucks difference between snap on and IR! I would imagine for a shade tree mechanic like myself either one would sufice. I can't imagine theres a HUGE performance difference between name brands. Maybe just a comfortabilty aspect.

When you depend on these things every day to put food on the table....theres a huge difference!!

Aircat gets good reviews, but IR is very proven. I'd get IR or snap on.
The snap-on guns are made by ir for snap-on and sold for a much higher price and don't live up to their 1100ft-lb break away torque they claim. They are no stronger than my composite craftsman rated at 725ft-lb and my craftsman was over $300 cheaper.
The red SnapOn guns suck. They have power, but the triggers are worthless.

I have an IR 2135timax that I've been using for 3 or 4 years. I love it, it gets used on jobs too big and has the finesse for the small jobs.

A couple guys I work with have Aircats. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of those either.

With my IR 1/2 gun, I don't need a high Zuk 3/8 gun. I just need something to zing bolts in without twisting them off. So I ended up with a cheap azzed blue point 3/8 that I like a lot as well.
Not only do their triggers suck, but they grenade easily. 3 guys at work have them, all suppose to be top dog 1/2 impacts. In less than 2years the one guy has had to have his rebuilt twice and the one guy had his for less than 6 months and had to have it rebuilt. I like my $150 craftsman composite that will take anything off that that snap-on gun will do. I've beat on mine for 2 years and its still going. I'd never waste the $500 on a snap-on impact. If I buy air tools if their not craftsman they would be ir. Ir makes a lot of good stuff that lasts a long time and you can always get parts for them.

Last edited:
Back