View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 06:27 PM   #27
slowburner

Name: slowburner
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
I hate that vacuum setup, too. Deleted my monovalve and just use a manual heater control.

What were those Jerrys thinking? I'm told that they didn't have the best relationship with Bosch at the time, so they minimized electrical whenever they could. Which is good for simplifying the engine, but everything else suffers.

Heck, the Oil Pressure gauge on the dash uses a genuine oil tube and fitting instead of wires to a sensor.

I'm still trying to figure out how to run that 722 transmission without a vacuum switch. It runs a Bowden cable, which makes me think of a 700R4, but it also runs a vacuum switch which the 700R4 does not.

I have several engine/transmission pairs hanging around.

One of my more likely projects - or at least one that seems to be desirable - is that OM617 turbo engine and 722 transmission in between some 4WD frame rails, like a Ford Explorer. Then drop a Mercedes Wagon body over it and have a 4WD diesel Mercedes Wagon.

Better yet would be this OM655 engine I got. Trouble is, it's got the new ECU system. But i just got the engine. And these ECUs can't be hacked - or no one has done it, yet. Seems the Germans went crazy with crypto on these things, so to start it, I gotta find a column switch and key all set up to the VIN of the ECU. None of that is sold in North America for this engine.

Oh, brother... get me going on Mercedes diesels...

But hey, it's what i got.