Whats good towing turbo?

smoker04

im wanting to get away from this stock turbo in my 08 bc i do alot of towing around 20 to 30k. im planning on doing deletes an using either EFI or a mini maxx with 5in exhaust.

private or commercial towing? If commercial I would keep it stock looking as possable by using a factory manifold from a 5.9 CR and a 3rd gen S366 turbo to the stock air box. Private I would go to a t4 2nd gen manifold with a box stock S366 from Borg that is around $600. You can always add an external gate if drive pressure is to high. Option one would let you install a factory exhaust brake and pretty much noone would know that it is modded if the hood gets popped.

my buddys got 90hp nozzles, smarty, 5 in exhasust and a SB 66 with a afe manifold. spools pretty close to stock.

3rd gen manifold, go with a 64/.85/76, it will spool like stock and move enough exhaust out the back to keep egt's and drive pressures in check, no need for more fuel with that size turbo. EFI live is sweet, but overkill for what you are doing, i'd go with the mini max, keep it on the 60hp tune and it's also handy to have the gauges with the mini which you won't get with EFI.

The 6.7's are a beast of an engine and can spool what most 5.9 guys call "big" rather easily with very minor fuel upgrades. I have a SPS 66 and honestly I could go to a 472 with the fuel I have and have very little lag. There are a lot more variables to getting a turbo than just what the compressor side of the turbo is. I will say though, if you want a good, quick spooling turbo, a 366 is gonna be pretty damn close to stock spooling and will get you a whole lot more air. In the end, it really has everything to do with what you plan on doing in the long run. If you plan on going for big numbers you need to plan for the future. But regardless, you will love yourself for getting rid of the stocker. I PROMISE!!!

i personally like the he351ve it is a good turbo, but if i was in your situation i would put the stock over a s474 or a s475.

for big single charger air i would look into a he451ve and a he551ve, caleb and brayden @ fleece performance can give good info on these chargers

Last edited:
i personally like the he351ve it is a good turbo, but if i was in your situation i would put the stock over a s474 or a s475.

for big single charger air i would look into a he451ve and a he551ve, caleb and brayden @ fleece performance can give good info on these chargers

For a small fortune..

What joelc79 is saying is that the he451 and he551 from fleece are pricey. But there is a reason for that. First it's a variable nozzle/vane/geometry (not sure which) turbo. Any of those 3 will make the price of a turbo go through the roof. Plus, then you add in that Fleece (a very reputable name in diesel performance) is the one's that MAKE them. Make being the key word in that. They don't purchase their turbos from other companies. They make them all. Not trying to preach Fleece, but there is a reason why they cost that extra penny, and it isn't because they are junk.
Either of those 2 turbos that are mentioned would be great for towing be cause of the variable vane/nozzle/geometry (not sure). Which in essense makes them smaller at low RPM, MPH, Boost, and fueling and then as all of those rise in number they begin to get bigger and flow more air.

If tuned correctly a nice T4 64 or 66 Borg Warner will spool like stock. Couple that with a steed speed manifold and you have a great looking and performing package. Shoot me a PM if you would like pricing on a complete setup with the manifold, turbo and tunes.

What joelc79 is saying is that the he451 and he551 from fleece are pricey. But there is a reason for that. First it's a variable nozzle/vane/geometry (not sure which) turbo. Any of those 3 will make the price of a turbo go through the roof. Plus, then you add in that Fleece (a very reputable name in diesel performance) is the one's that MAKE them. Make being the key word in that. They don't purchase their turbos from other companies. They make them all. Not trying to preach Fleece, but there is a reason why they cost that extra penny, and it isn't because they are junk.
Either of those 2 turbos that are mentioned would be great for towing be cause of the variable vane/nozzle/geometry (not sure). Which in essense makes them smaller at low RPM, MPH, Boost, and fueling and then as all of those rise in number they begin to get bigger and flow more air.

agreed! i would also like to add, if it is not better than what the factroy did is not a upgrade in my book and to do something correctly is not cheap, is there turbos out there that perform very well? yes! but when you take a the variable turbos that flow just as well, have an exhaust brake built in and you have complete authority over tuning it exactly they way you use it, this is the best towing turbo option IMO so either use the HE351VE over a larger charger or put on a 451 or 551 either option is going to be $2500+

Last edited:
does it spool close to stock

sorry been away for a while. i think it spools great. im running stock injectors right now. i would say its real close to stock. but runs waaaaaaay better and sounds great. im fixing to bump up too 100's. the only bad i have noticed is if i leave the cruise set and i hit a hill the turbo will bark. but grab a lower gear keeping the rpms up it does great. so now when i tow i just dont use the cruise. i have had no issues. hope this helps.

Last edited:
What gears are you running? I am jumping on the 66mm bandwagon soon myself. Going with a T4 box Borg though and adding an exhaust brake. This is on my tow rig which grosses 26-35k lbs when in use. I usually don't let RPMs drop below 1800 and they are usually in the 2-2200 RPM range.

Back