Drag truck/Street toy build

I know there is a lot of machining to do to the block. I can have that all done but I understand if they want to do it in house. Most places I talked to want to do the whole engine too. Not just the short block.

I don't blame them. They've done most of the work, so why not pay a little more and have a whole engine that is basically guaranteed to have no issues. Push rods, head studs, and head gasket gasket are more or less custom as well.

They might be worried that a person that just buys the block work, rods, etc. will go out with a diffrent cam, head, turbo, etc and not do so well or manages to hurt the motor. Then it will become the blocks fault , not the combos fault. That might have to do with some of the pricing also. You spend 50g on a motor, and they can assum that your not just looking to rool more coal.

On the other side .what's different about buying a deck plate block,rods ect compared to any other block rod combo? Some of those shops don't even do the machine work in house

Some of those shops don't even do the machine work in house

How unfair! They're making money and not even doing some of the machining!! Maybe some of y'all should start up a shop making deck plate engines, seems pretty cut and dry.

These shops have many many years of experience and that is what some of the cost is.

I didn't say it was unfair. It's business. But I can promise you I wouldn't pay anyone 50 anything to build my own engines.

I understand now if you start with nothing and get a deck plated 6.7 long block engine for 30k that's a lot more reasonable than 50k.

What I want is cut a dry, I send in my shortblock and get a deck plated shortblock in return? What would that run I wonder?

Have you called Scheid and spoke to Dan about an LSM block and all the components you would need to make it work? I feel like even with the $18k price tag of just the block (one with coolant passages) you would still come in well under the $30k price you were quoted for a deck plate block. The LSM would be a truly one time cost and save you 138lbs. Just food for thought.

Have you called Scheid and spoke to Dan about an LSM block and all the components you would need to make it work? I feel like even with the $18k price tag of just the block (one with coolant passages) you would still come in well under the $30k price you were quoted for a deck plate block. The LSM would be a truly one time cost and save you 138lbs. Just food for thought.

Thanks. I did look at LSM's a while back and they are beautiful! Looks like I might have some thinking to do. I talked to O'bryant today too. Patrick seems like an awesome guy and very willing to talk to me about options. I might end up going that route. I really like the serviceability of the deck plate engines.

I understand now if you start with nothing and get a deck plated 6.7 long block engine for 30k that's a lot more reasonable than 50k.

What I want is cut a dry, I send in my shortblock and get a deck plated shortblock in return? What would that run I wonder?

Should be under 20k by a bit.

Thanks. I did look at LSM's a while back and they are beautiful! Looks like I might have some thinking to do. I talked to O'bryant today too. Patrick seems like an awesome guy and very willing to talk to me about options. I might end up going that route. I really like the serviceability of the deck plate engines.

Can't beat serviceability of aluminum blocks though. Chuck a rod, no prob, weld it up, re-machine and away you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You gonna get her to ats on the 5th?? Mine won't be in, wish it was so bill could see it run.

No, I'm trying to finish a customer truck for it though. I might try to come watch though.

John you've been toooo quite, hopefully you update us soon bud.

I've been really busy. I'll post some pictures soon though. I have been working on it along with some customer stuff. I've got some great people helping out for the 2016 season and the truck has definitely went through some changes. Dave Goerend has been a huge help with transmissions and Kingspeed is finishing up the engine hopefully around March 1st. Besides that I've been playing with some chassis stuff.

No, I'm trying to finish a customer truck for it though. I might try to come watch though.

I've been really busy. I'll post some pictures soon though. I have been working on it along with some customer stuff. I've got some great people helping out for the 2016 season and the truck has definitely went through some changes. Dave Goerend has been a huge help with transmissions and Kingspeed is finishing up the engine hopefully around March 1st. Besides that I've been playing with some chassis stuff.

Any Updates for us John???

Back