View Single Post
Old 06-27-2018, 02:28 PM   #1
Mightywhitey03

Name: Mightywhitey03
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Engine Build time for my 05. Which style piston should I go with?

Well, after 264k on stock injectors and fuel filter setup, I finally had an injector decide to go down. But not without doing so in a blaze of glory. Melted #5 piston, dropped a valve seat, valve met piston, broke the face off and danced around in the cylinder. Bent 2 other valves and cracked the head. Yay.

Anyway, picked up a new head, block is at the machine shop, getting ready to order .020" over pistons, and of course new injectors.
Now is the time to decide what style to go with...
Local performance diesel shop recommends going back to the 03/04 style piston and the corresponding narrow angle injector nozzles. This site along with CF has mixed reviews on which is "better"
I'm ditching the programmer I have (since it's like 10 years old) and going with a hp tuners tune, 2nd gen swap and most likely a 62/71 turbo. Arp studs, balanced crank, rods and pistons.

Here's the low down:
I don't race the truck, I don't sled pull it. But I beat the guts out of it and haul anything I can make a dollar with. I want a tune that's just hot enough to not need any cp3 upgrades. Something to make it not a sluggish turd like stock but not make the EGT's go nuclear when I'm leaning on it real hard while loaded down.

Anyway, for what I'm doing, what's the better option as far as piston/injector design goes?