View Single Post
Old 06-26-2007, 05:13 AM   #2
Jff24Gordn

Name: Jff24Gordn
Title: FIRE
Member`s Gallery
You will need a 5th gear nut socket, socket for the output splines, BIG ASS external snap ring pliers, dial indicator, A good puller set to pull the tapered bearings off or a dremil and a chisel.
I got my special tools from quad4x4.com. the rest of the stuff, I usually get from whatever it takes.

do not take the shift collar off the 1-2 hub, its a pain to put back together. If you do take it apart, 2 rubber bands will hold the struts in pace while you slide the shift collar on, then cut the rubber band.
the back bearing must be removed from the countershaft to pull it from the case.
the case will make a great work bench to hold the shafts while you work on them.
Shim the bearings to 1-2 thousands. The tighter the better. If you set it tighter than 0.001", it will take more abuse, but burn up with a trailer.
Have a buddy help you with the big snapring between 1st and reverse. Its a bastard.
The pins that hold 5th shift fork on are tapered and must be removed by driving them UP.
Dont worry if 5th gear and rubbed the bearing retainers, it happens on all of them.
torque the 5th gear nut down to 350ftlbs if you have a torque wrench, of you dont, 350 is alot of pull and it would take a LOT of force to strip it out so take a good guess.
DO NOT WELD THE NUT ON, use red loctite.

all in all its a pretty simple tranny. Take your time and follow the manual.
I heard what sounded like a Pro truck ripping down the track. I looked up just in time to hear it catch 1 more gear & the lights went 7.xxx. I said out loud "holy chit that was a stick shift!!!!
06 LJ Rubicon
17 T/A 392