Ball joints

The emf joints are actually cheaper at ~$510, even the oversized ones. The only downside is they are sold out so you will want to contact them and see when they expect to be able to ship. I think they are the best design that you can rebuild yourself. I don't know much about the synergy's but the carli's you need to send them in to see if they'll honor the warranty and whether or not you'll be forking the rebuild cost.

Emfs website says they're in the process of machining more. Idk about carli then, if I have to send them in something tells me with my luck and my habit of bombing down washboard gravel roads at 75 mph I might trash them

The carli's are too much imo. The fact you can't rebuild them yourself is a big downside. EMF is what I am going to go with when I do my ball joints soon. I would trust them the most since since they have a very focused speciality.

Saving this for later. Need ball joints sometime in the future on the 12 and a 15 and was going to go moog or step up to carli but will look into emf

EMF all the way. If you’ve ever watched the abuse they take from a 600hp rock bouncer you already know.

The 12 is a 1000hp street driven race/puller and the 15 is around 550 600 daily street truck that is going to get turned up more soon. Definitely need something to take some abuse

Last edited:
I'm trying out the new XRFs right now. They apparently redid the 2010-12 design. I'm happy with them so far, but it's only been ~10,000 miles.

I went with synergy ball joints. The uppers arent rebuildable and are slightly larger than the NAPA ones. Went in kind of loose but probably because I used a rosebud and hammer to replace them last time without removing anything. They were tight when the sucked into the taper.

The lowers are rebuildable/adjustable and look like they're high quality. I had to disassemble them to press them in, went in tight since I got knurled ones and the old ones weren't knurled. I would not be able to do this without a press (rented from autozone, need the adapter set too).

The ball joints didnt feel loose but the tire says something else.

Went with carli’s

My previous balljoints were knurled and didn’t have nor have I had any issue pressing in smooth balljoints

I’m going to do ball joints in my 05 also. I’m seeing two different listings one is gear steering and the other is rack steering. What’s the difference? Not sure what I need to order? Thanks

Like justappumped24v said, the OEM AAM balljoints can be purchased from a local driveshaft shop, or you can find them online for $75 a side. If you're in there doing ball joints I would suggest doing the axle u-joints at the same time. Again, AAM is OEM and an affordable option. The u-joints are typically $30-35 a piece from AAM.

I've actually been having issues keeping the synergy lowers tight, the locking ring actually shears the tabs off from the looks of it.

Now its looking like the control arm bushings are well gone (fixed short arms with poly bushings) and in general im having trouble keeping the front end together with my driving style that's probably closer to desert baja than it should be in rural ag country...

Back